*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Issues with Midwest Supplies Extract kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2010, 07:59 PM   #51
Steiger66
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I see this was addressed already. I should of read on.

Bottled:Vanillia Porter
Drinking

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #52
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would think boiling more than the 60 recommended minutes would change things. How much, I don't know. I don't have much experience with that. I would think boiling the hops longer would lead to more bitterness and less flavor. I read this before starting and only steep in about a gallon of water, although I think that is still more than recommended.

Quote:
5. Got Grains?
In order to get the colors and flavors you want from your specialty grains, without extracting excess tannins, you need to do one of two things — either steep in a small amount of water or in weak wort. A small amount of water means 1–3 qts. of water per pound of grains (2.1–6.3 L/kg). If you steep in a larger volume than that, add malt extract until the specific gravity is over 1.010 before adding the grains. And finally, rinse with a very small amount of water — 0.5–1 qts. of water per pound of grain steeped (1–2 L/kg) works well (see “Steeping,” in the May–June 2005 issue of BYO for more on this topic).
To be honest, the only problem I would have with the Midwest kits is the instructions. They are pretty generic. They have the same basic instructions for every single beer no matter the gravity. Of course if you read anything at all about brewing you should have enough knowledge that it shouldn't be an issue.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #53
blitzgp
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Yeah and I apreciate any input I am trying to find as many things as could possiblly be. Forest asked me I use easyclean then I rinse then I use star san and I Know I probably use a little too much because I didn't measure for my spray bottle of easyclean I just poured a little into the bottle then filled with water and shook. I am going to be more anal about measuring when I use cleaner or sanitizer. The cleaner I do the same thing just pour some in the buckets/ carboy and then fill with some water and scrub with a brush.
It may be cleaning agent your tasting. Many cleaners and sanitizers use a tiny cap full for a 5 gallon batch of solution. If youve ever used Iodophor, that makes the water barely turn yellow. A brew site that did some tests with sanitizers were able to taste some off flavors at like 4x the recommended mix ratio.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:45 PM   #54
maxamuus
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Just curious did the OP ever figure out what was wrong?

Old 09-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #55
Brad
Recipes 

Sorry my computer has been down for a while. My belgian wit actually turned out very well once it was chilled down in my portable cooler that is basically the first beer I have had that was cold to drink. My wort chiller I put in a seperate pot with water and bring up to a boil then boil for about ten to fifteen min. I use easy clean and star san that is all I use to clean and sanitize any of the brewing tools/buckets/fermenters ect. I use like the instructions say, easyclean 1 tablespoon for 1 gallon. Star san 1 ounce per 5 gallons. Im not saying it was midwests fault for the beer I was just asking to see if anyone has had or been having the problems I have. I know it is probably something I am doing and I am just trying to pinpoint. But when the beer was chilled it was like the strange flavor went away and the beer flavor actually came through?? Dont know if this means anything but. And I just started a Bourbon Barrel Old ale Kit from Midwest with a starter and the aroma hops I added in the last 5 min of my boil and let steep off the heat for 20 min as suggested by The Brewmasters Bible to try something new.

Quick Reply