Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Issues with Midwest Supplies Extract kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2010, 11:41 PM   #21
Brad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Ok so what about when I use dry yeast, still been having the same issues. Its not just because I am not making a yeast starter. White labs tube yeasts don't say to make a starter on the tube they say to get to bring wort to a temperature then pitch. There are tons of brewers who do not make starters and there beer turn out perfect. I still have not had an issue with are my yeast dead. My SG and FG have both come out to be spot on so I don't know it can be not having a starter when those still come out to be where they are supposed to be? On my next batch I will make a starter but I still don't know if that is going to be the reason. I just want my beer to turn out great. Just getting frustrated not knowing why the off flavor. And afraid to make another batch in a fear of it being the same results. Thanks for the info on Starters I am adding it to my favorites for future reference.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #22
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

No need for a starter with dry yeast, but understand, that for a lot of styles, dry yeast won't produce the desired result.

Also, 68 in the basement, while the air is that temperature, the fermenting wort could easily hit 78.... too hot for nearly all styles. And from my experience, dry yeast usually needs to ferment a little cooler than liquid yeast.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:18 AM   #23
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 19

If you really want to pinpoint the problem, perhaps you should answer some of the questions about your process, particularly regarding fermentation temperature, time in primary, yeast type, etc.

Old 07-01-2010, 04:06 AM   #24
Brad
Recipes 

I like i have said have already stated that in another thread Everythings bitter and first ag batch. My basement temp is 68 and the thermometer on my fermenting bucket says 68 so I don't know how that is an issue. my time in the primary like I said depends on when it reaches the FG I do not remove it from the primary until it reaches the FG suggested by the kit instructions and the yeast range from dry yeast to liquid white labs yeast depending on what i choose and what Midwest Pairs with there kits. these are all questions I have answered or stated before and you still question them. I am not going to type a page and a half of info when I have done it before and no one has answered anything. They just question me thinking I don't know anything about anything. I know for some beers fermentation temps change but I follow the Midwest Kit instructions on fermentation temps and time and FG and yeast and they have still turned out the same?

Old 07-01-2010, 04:26 AM   #25
northman
Recipes 

when you brew non-midwest kits do they turn out better?

Old 07-01-2010, 03:17 PM   #26
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2776 Times on 1660 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I like i have said have already stated that in another thread Everythings bitter and first ag batch. My basement temp is 68 and the thermometer on my fermenting bucket says 68 so I don't know how that is an issue. my time in the primary like I said depends on when it reaches the FG I do not remove it from the primary until it reaches the FG suggested by the kit instructions and the yeast range from dry yeast to liquid white labs yeast depending on what i choose and what Midwest Pairs with there kits. these are all questions I have answered or stated before and you still question them. I am not going to type a page and a half of info when I have done it before and no one has answered anything. They just question me thinking I don't know anything about anything. I know for some beers fermentation temps change but I follow the Midwest Kit instructions on fermentation temps and time and FG and yeast and they have still turned out the same?
And since you didn't provide us with thinks to those threads, we're not going to hunt it down...

You don't have to type a couple pages, you COULD just cut and paste what you wrote over there, here. Hell, that's how I answer the same noob questions day in and day out.

You don't think I wrote my LOOOONG answer about starters specifically for you did you? And If I did it's too hard for YOU to make it EASIER for us to help you?

Old 07-01-2010, 10:43 PM   #27
Brad
Recipes 

The kit that I just put into the keg

Belgian Wit

Ingredients:
Belgian Wheat Wyeast #3944 (no starter)
6 lb. Wheat liquid malt extract
8 oz. Carapils specialty grains
2 oz. Hallertau pellet hops
1 Tbsp Coriander
1 Tbsp bitter orange

At boil I had six gallons I followed Midwest directions like I always do clean, Sanitize, Steep for 30min in 6.5 gallons at 155 Degrees, add malt extract while off burner, add 1 oz of hallertau hops for 60 min boil, add 1 Tbsp coriander and 1 Tbsp Orange peel for last ten min, add 1 oz of hallertau aroma hops for last 2 min. Boil till at five gallons

SG was 1.046

Then I used my new Counterflow chiller to cool down wort to 70 degrees close to my basement temp where it will ferment so I don't throw yeast into a fit. Then I let it ferment in the basement for a week and a half till I went to check the gravity. Where I took a sample and a taste. FG was not where it should be so I put lid back on and let it rest

FG was 1.010 after 3 weeks in primary
then I moved to secondary for a week and a half till it was pretty clear
then put it into my keg where it has been on gas for three days now

I don't need help with the calculations or anything like that I now have beersmith so I can figure those out on my own. Even if I am off in your opinions on anything like I said I followed midwests instructions not doing anything that was not on any of the recipe/process sheet. All of the numbers came out to where they should be so what would make my beer taste off/tart/bitter/the way yeast smell.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:22 PM   #28
Token
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 8

AHHH, there's the problem: Belgian yeast. Sorry, I'm not a Belgian yeast fan at all.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:39 AM   #29
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Did you crush the Coriander?

Old 07-02-2010, 05:12 AM   #30
Brad
Recipes 

the coriander came ground in the midwest kit but i used a grain bag with the coriander and the orange peel to contain it so it did not float around in the wort. And the belgain yeast is not the only yeast I have used I don't remember some of the other ones but still get the same strange taste in all of my beers I have done. It has ranged from dry muntons yeast to all differnet strains of white labs tube liquid yeast.

Quick Reply