Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Issues with Midwest Supplies Extract kits?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2010, 02:34 AM   #1
Brad
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Issues with Midwest Supplies Extract kits?

Has anyone had the trouble I have had with Midwest Supplies Extract Kits? I have tried several kits from midwest supplies the happy holiday ale, Belgian wit and a couple others and they all end up tasting the same or they don't turn out the way that I would expect them to. Has anyone had any issues like this? It is beginning to get a little frustrating because of the way they turn out. I almost don't want to try another kit because of the fear of how it will turn out. It doesn't even taste like a homebrew or a beer in general.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-29-2010, 03:31 AM   #2
northman
Recipes 

Hey Brad, I've used alot of midwests kits and nearly everyone has beed exellent. I have brewed their Liberty cream ale, smooth nut brown ale, hophead double IPA, Swartzwalds black lager, Irish stout, big river brown ale, oatmeal stout, porter, and a couple meads. all were good. can't say any tasted like the others. try fermenting at a cooler temperature.

I prefered stouts and brown ales in the past but the Hophead double IPA, Liberty cream ale and Black lager are by far my favorite brews.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:57 AM   #3
MetallHed
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 44

am drinking the liberty cream ale from midwest.. tastes great!

I have the lemon coriander weiss kit waiting to be brewed on thursday. midwest is great! takes literally one day to ship to my house.

My Fermentation Chiller Steel Horse Brew Labels

Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why don't you post a little more about your process and I'm sure someone can chime in and make suggestions on things you can change or improve to get your brew tasting better.

I've tasted quite a few Midwest kits too: Cream Stout, Cologne Kolsch, Aussie Light Ale, etc. and they were all very tasty.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:45 AM   #5
KAMMEE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've used midwest kits without problems. Two things to consider. 1) yeast makes a big difference, if you just use the muntons that comes with the kit instead of the liquid, you'll have a yeast factor as I know that specific yeast needs months (two to three) in the bottle to floculate out and really take some yeasty flavor out of the brew. That could be your issue if you've just been using the dry yeast. 2) How long are you conditioning your beer before you drink it? Drinking green beer will cause it to taste different than properly bottled and conditioned beer. Read Revvy's blog entry on "Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning" to get an idea of good practices. If you're drinking it after only a week or two in the bottle, try letting it sit around for a few more weeks before giving it a try and you'll be amazed at the change.

Old 06-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

I'm going to blame "operator error," and suggest that you post your brewing/sanitzation process. More than likely, like Kammee said, you're not giveing the beers enough time. Either in the fermenter or in the bottle.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 06-29-2010, 02:14 PM   #7
BogusOwnz
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've brewed 4 or 5 kits from them and all have turned out fantastic. In fact I've brewed their "Hank's Hefeweizen" a few times. Guys in my home brew club love it and can't tell it's an extract.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
knightbeer39
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It's been years for me, but I used to get kits from Midwest and they were never a problem. Its a strange concept, quite frankly, to blame the "kit" because the kit is nothing more than a combination of the bulk ingredients they all carry anyway. The malt is just regular Briess malt or extract measured and bagged, the speciality grains are the normal grains, the hops the normal hop pellets. There is nothing in the "kit" that is some sort of unique ingredient that you wouldn't normally get from buying the ingredients seperate.

I second the motion, detail your process and I bet the wise brewers here can help improve it.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
Franzi
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I like their kits. The only thing I wish I could change is using dry extract instead of the liquid.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #10
Pivzavod
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I used close to ten kits from them and never had problems. The only problems I had with their kits was when I used Muntons yeast. That yeast has a weird flavor which I dont like. I used leftover Muntons yeast on AHS Wheat stout and could taste it in it as well. MW Hank's Hefe is amazing and I will be ordering from them some day.

Primary: 04/29 Pomegranate Nectarine Apfelwein, 05/23 Petite Saison
Secondary:
Kegs drinking: AHS Midnight Wheaten Stout 03/18 - 04/14 - 04/28,
Kegs conditioning: 01/29 - 04/29 Cranberry Apfelwein, 04/29-05/23 Petite Saison
RIP: 11/07-11/28-01/29-05/04-11/17 Flanders Brown Ale

Quick Reply