The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Irish Moss boilover??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
MCH
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Irish Moss boilover??

Ok, I brewed a Honey Blonde Ale today that had 2 lbs of honey. I added half the LME and honey at the beginning and then the rest at 15 minutes left. After stopping the slight boilover from the late addition, it dawned on me that I had to add my Irish Moss. So I just grabbed a 4 oz bag and shook a little bit in. Not sure how much but it was less than 1 oz I'm sure.

Anyway, within a couple of seconds, the wort started to boilover. I wasn't prepared but still managed to catch it before any spilled.

Has anyone else had an Irish Moss boilover or could mine have been caused by something else???

You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCH View Post
Ok, I brewed a Honey Blonde Ale today that had 2 lbs of honey. I added half the LME and honey at the beginning and then the rest at 15 minutes left. After stopping the slight boilover from the late addition, it dawned on me that I had to add my Irish Moss. So I just grabbed a 4 oz bag and shook a little bit in. Not sure how much but it was less than 1 oz I'm sure.

Anyway, within a couple of seconds, the wort started to boilover. I wasn't prepared but still managed to catch it before any spilled.

Has anyone else had an Irish Moss boilover or could mine have been caused by something else???
It probably was just adding something to a boiling pot- it sounds like nucleation points.

by the way, when you use Irish moss, it's good to rehydrate it first in a little warm water. And the "dosage" is one teaspoon per batch. You probably used more than that, and no harm will come, but next time try putting one teaspoonful in warm water when you start your boil, and then pouring that in together with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
MCH
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
It probably was just adding something to a boiling pot- it sounds like nucleation points.

by the way, when you use Irish moss, it's good to rehydrate it first in a little warm water. And the "dosage" is one teaspoon per batch. You probably used more than that, and no harm will come, but next time try putting one teaspoonful in warm water when you start your boil, and then pouring that in together with 15 minutes left in the boil.

Thanks for the info!

My last Honey Blonde was very hazy, so this time, I'm using the Moss and then using gelatin in a secondary.
You see every drink of liquor you take kills a thousand brain cells. Now that doesn't much matter 'cos we got billions more. And first the sadness cells die so you smile real big. And then the quiet cells go so you just say everything real loud for no reason at all. That'ok, that's ok because the stupid cells go next, so everything you say is real smart. And finally, come the memory cells. These are tough SOBs to kill.

Old 09-21-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Hey YooperBrew I used Irish Moss for the first time tonight. I just dumped a teaspoon in with 15 minutes of boiling left. I saw where you suggested to hydrate it first. Why the need to hydrate it prior to dumping? Wouldn't it dissolve during the 15 minutes of boil time?
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 09-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchK9 View Post
Hey YooperBrew I used Irish Moss for the first time tonight. I just dumped a teaspoon in with 15 minutes of boiling left. I saw where you suggested to hydrate it first. Why the need to hydrate it prior to dumping? Wouldn't it dissolve during the 15 minutes of boil time?
Yes, it does dissolve. I started rehydrating a few batches in, though, and it does seem to work better. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but after I did it once, I kept it up because it really worked so well. I'll see if I can find the info on why to rehydrate.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #6
DutchK9
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Yes, it does dissolve. I started rehydrating a few batches in, though, and it does seem to work better. I don't know the chemistry behind it, but after I did it once, I kept it up because it really worked so well. I'll see if I can find the info on why to rehydrate.
I will give it a shot next time. Thanks again!
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone
Secondary
Bottled & Kegged
Guinnesss Extra Stout Clone, Bass Ale Clone, Midwest English Bitter, Muntons Nut Brown Ale, Coopers Pilsener, Northern Bock, Apfelwein, Select Premium-Merlot, Select Premium-Borolo, Select Premium-Valpolicella, Northern Nut Brown Ale
Gone
Midwest Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Midwest Hanks Hefeweizen

Old 09-22-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
MikeG
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Also, I've seen over and over again regarding honey, if it's boiled the flavor will be gone and you are left with just the sugars. I did the same and wished I had read up on it before I did it.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeG View Post
Also, I've seen over and over again regarding honey, if it's boiled the flavor will be gone and you are left with just the sugars. I did the same and wished I had read up on it before I did it.
You could always prime with honey. It would just take some time to figure out the right amount.

Quick Reply