Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > IPA recipe help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 03:06 AM   #11
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I am about to dry hop my first batch of NB Dead Ringer IPA and wanted to add some extra hops. If it just adds to aroma would it be worth it?

Don't mean to hi-jack thread but how much does the hop aroma affect taste? Is the Aroma what diminishes over time in an IPA, while the bitterness stays the same?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
ApothecaryBrewing
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Both aroma and bitterness will mellow out after a while. If you are brewing an IPA recipe and wondering if you should dry-hop or not, you should dry-hop.

An IPA with out the hop burst aroma and flavor is simple a pale ale... or something worse. It will still be drinkable but calling it an IPA would be an abomination.

When in doubt, after primary fermentation in complete, throw it in secondary and add 1-3 oz. of whatever hop you added in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Leave them there for 14 days then bottle.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
Reedkellough
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I have my first IPA in the primary now and am definitely dry hopping it, only using 2 oz glacier pellets but want to see how it turns out. Anyone have an idea if its better to dry hop with leaf or pellet hops??? I also am thinking of doing a 2-3 hop blend for my next ipa with each hope used in brew, about 1.5 oz each,..hopefully a hoppy beer.

I am mostly saying this because after reading through the thread there are various opinions on what to add and when but a lot has to do with flavor preference. I would recommend checking out a few IPA's you love drinking and seeing what hops they use, find a common thread and incorporate that into your brew maybe at 15 minutes and through dry hop as mentioned earlier. Never hurts to take a proven flavor or aroma and add it to your next brew!

Bottled: Dark as Hell Irish Stout, Brown Dog Breakfast Ale

Old 01-15-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
techbrewie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts

The sugars in extract have a dramatic effect in hop utilization. If you reduce the sugars you have in your boil(SG) it will increase the amount of AA that is extracted from your hops and vice verse.

Unless you have a problem burning your wort when you add the ME after steeping add it all at once. There really isn't any reason not to. The less variables you have in your boil the more consistent your results will be. Keep your recipes as simple as possible to produce the result you want.

As far as your hop sched. get rid of your 45 and 30 min additions.
use your 60 min additions to hit just below your desired IBU
Bump up your 20-0 min additions.
Dry hopping will add flavor and aroma to your beer. 2-4 ounces seems to be the sweet spot.

IPA's are difficult to give advice on because intensity of hop flavor is pure pref. IPA's are meant to showcase hop profiles, so dont be timid with additions.

an example of my citra single hop IPA so you can see what I'm talking about.

Brew long and Prosper... May the wort be with you... Yippeekayay master brewers... You had me at free beer.

Old 01-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #15
cank
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTrookie View Post
When in doubt, after primary fermentation in complete, throw it in secondary and add 1-3 oz. of whatever hop you added in the last 15 minutes of the boil. Leave them there for 14 days then bottle.
Recipe called for all centennial and I was going to add an extra ounce of that in the dry-hop because it only called for 1 Oz. and then I was going to add another ounce of maybe Chinook.

Would you recommend just sticking with the same hop rather than adding a new flavor?

Quick Reply