IPA Recipe Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dietz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a good IPA extract recipe using some newly purchased hops. I'm thinking 4 oz (?) during the boil and dryhopping with another 2 oz (?). I'm going to get away from the kits, I have a good LBS so I might as well use them. I'm new and not really sure if these hops will "work" together. I'm thinking I'll get good results dry hopping with cascade but that's about all I got....

Hops I have:
1lb Nugget
1lb Cascade
1lb Columbus

Thanks -

I'm still figuring this out but so take my advice for what it's worth, hardly anything.

I think your gonna want to use the Nugget in the begining of the boil then finish with Cascade. Something I've recently figured out is, the more late addition hops I use, the better the flavor and aroma. Usually, I do something like 1oz at 60 then in between 15 and flame-out another 3 more oz. Dry-hop with 2oz.

I also heard you'll get better hop utilization if you mix half your extract in at the beginning and the other half in at 10. Something about boiling the hops in high Gravity wort weakens their effectiveness.

Check out brewersfriend.com, there is a lot of calculators. In particular, check out the one that calculates IBU's for extract brewers. Play around with the timing of the hop additions and it will show how that has an effect on IBU's.

Columbus is a great bittering hop for sure, but I've heard that Columbus and Cascade can work really well together as late hop / dry hop additions. Haven't tried it myself yet but do a search and maybe you can find the thread(s) I'm thinking of. If you want to use all three hops, maybe try bittering with Nugget and have several good sized late additions (e.g. 20min, 10min, flamout +steep) of a Columbus/Cascade combination, along with a dryhop of the same. Or just leave out the nugget and bitter with Columbus too. Just make sure to use some software to get your IBU's into a normal range (50-70ish depending your taste).

columbus is an awesome late hop. how about something like
1oz columbus @60
1oz cascade @15
1oz columbus @10
1oz cascade @5
1oz each @dry hop

Thanks for the suggestions! I was got in a pinch with time and didn't run the recipe through the software until after and the IBU's are through the roof!

I did:
1oz Columbus @ 60

0.5oz Columbus @ 30
0.5oz Nuggest @30

1oz Nugget @ 20

1oz Cascade @ 10

0.5oz Columbus @ flameout

1oz Cascade Dry hop
0.5oz Nuggest dry hop

We shall see how this comes out. I love my hops and all, but I'm getting around 140 IBU's with beersmith....you live and learn! I've got plenty more of these hops, I think I used too much bittering too early. Probably should have done away with the 30 min addition, or do away with the nuggets all together.

How does this mesh with your grain bill? The hops are only one side of the equation (arguably the most important part, but still...)

What's your expected OG?

Thanks for the suggestions! I was got in a pinch with time and didn't run the recipe through the software until after and the IBU's are through the roof!

I did:
1oz Columbus @ 60

0.5oz Columbus @ 30
0.5oz Nuggest @30

1oz Nugget @ 20

1oz Cascade @ 10

0.5oz Columbus @ flameout

1oz Cascade Dry hop
0.5oz Nuggest dry hop

We shall see how this comes out. I love my hops and all, but I'm getting around 140 IBU's with beersmith....you live and learn! I've got plenty more of these hops, I think I used too much bittering too early. Probably should have done away with the 30 min addition, or do away with the nuggets all together.

I'd have left out the 30 minute hops, as they don't give you much at all. Well, bitterness of course. But not really any flavor.

I'll have to get back to you on the OG, I have it at home in beersmith and I also have my hydrometer reading written down. My fermentables are as follows:

I did 7# of extra light LME with 1.5# of Caramel (10L). Kicked up with 1# of dextrose.

This is only my 3rd batch but I'm already trying to work on a few problems. I do full 5 gallon boils with late (10 min) extract addition. I'm using a swamp cooler for the first time and I have typically used a strainer bag to strain out the hop pellets when transfering to primary (and only do a primary). This time I didn't strain, I'm going to rack to secondary (hopefully leaving alot of trub behind) and dry hop. Oh and I tried irish moss for the first time.

Yooper, your recipe for DFH 60 is high on my list of beer to brew. Just didn't have the hops this time around.

Back