Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > IPA like AleSmith IPA or West Coast IPA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Alcodoll
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 6

Default IPA like AleSmith IPA or West Coast IPA

Hi evrebody.
First of all a story. When i tried to make my first beer, i wanted something like AleSmith IPA or Greenlight West Coast IPA. This was the first attempt to brew beer at home. For this i took Coopers IPA, on the advice of the seller (stupid donkey) Coopers Amber Malt Extract, 500 gr Dextrose, 12gr Morgan Cascade Hops. Made a hop tea for 10 minutes in 1 gallon of water (later i realise it `s too little for 20 liters of beer). So the result was far far away from what i wanted to get. So i thought it `s becouse of amber extract first of all.
So maybe i don `t understand a lot, but here` s what i want to try.Take 1 kg of unhopped light malt extract, than boil some real hop tea, with two or three hops sorts. Boil for 60 minutes, adding diffirent hops in diffirent time. But i don `t really know which hops, exept cascade, is good for IPA. In my LHBS there are Saaz, Gold, Fuggles, Goldings, Magnum, Challenger, Target, Tettnanger.
So the question is: am i right, suggesting i `ll get what i want, using unhopped malt extract and adding a good hop tea in it? And which hops I have to used, in what order and so?
Not sure that described all logical, but I hope you understand.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM   #2
Alcodoll
Recipes 

Anyone?

Old 02-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
sutepan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Not sure what you mean by 'hop tea', so sorry if this seems obvious: Specialty grains are steeped in a 'tea' before adding extract and bringing things to a boil. Hops need to be boiled for bittering and flavour, and can be added after the boil finishes for aroma .

I would recommend reading these pages for good clear instructions on how to extract brew:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/index.html

As to hop choices for West Coast IPA, I like to use Centennial or Chinook for bittering hops, Cascade for flavour, and Simcoe or Amarillo for aroma. Saying that, sticking to one or two varieties helps to give an idea of the characteristics of each.

You can get useful information about different hop uses and characteristics here:

http://www.freshops.com/hops/variety_descriptions

I would also recommend finding a good tried-and-true recipe to follow rather than winging it. The recipes link here at Homebrewtalk has some very tasty looking extract IPA recipes, often with helpful comments.

Hope all this helps, good luck and happy brewing!

Old 02-06-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

If your boiling hops separately from your malt extract then you shouldn't be doing that. While this is a ok method you should boil the hops and the extract together.

So you are manking 5 gallon (20 liter) batches correct? Are you doing full boils or are you only boiling a couple gallons and then topping off with a lot of water?

If you want to make a west coast ipa those hops won't work like Sutepan says. You are going to need American varieties and mostly the "C's".

Those beers are pretty hoppy so you are probably going to want to get up in the 8ish oz range for 5 gallons.

You are also going to want to back load your hop additions, aka do a majority of the additions in the last 15min on the boil. You should also dry hop with 2 to 4 ounces to really get that hop aroma.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #5
sutepan
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post

If you want to make a west coast ipa those hops won't work like Sutepan says. You are going to need American varieties and mostly the "C's".

Those beers are pretty hoppy so you are probably going to want to get up in the 8ish oz range for 5 gallons.

You are also going to want to back load your hop additions, aka do a majority of the additions in the last 15min on the boil. You should also dry hop with 2 to 4 ounces to really get that hop aroma.
I will defer judgement about hop varieties in a WC IPA to someone who lives on that coast haha ( I live on the Best coast, not the West coast )! That being said, I've made some hop monsters with the ones I mention. Late additions are definitely a must for WC IPA; after flame-out and dry hop for sure
Left Tap: Acadian Amber
Right Tap: Paco's Pale

Old 02-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I would just try looking up some clone recipe's to get some ideas and/or to copy. The thing that those hops you mentioned would be lacking is the citrusy and floral aspects that those IPAs are known for.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Alcodoll
Recipes 

Guys thanks for answers. So i`ll say that in my first attempt to brew kind of IPA the only thing that i`ve boil was 0.5 oz of Cascade for 10 minutes, and this is what Craig (on CraigTube) call hop-tea. I took Coopers IPA extract, Coopers Amber Malt Extract, pour it into fermentator an than add my hop tea.
So from your comment and my searching i found out 2 things perfectly))
1) Unhopped malt extract and hops must be boiled together (is it OK for extract to be boiled fo 60 or 90 minutes?)
2) West coast ipa needs partial mash, i`ve already found on this forum clone recipe, and now is the biggest problem for me, is to find proper hops and grains for it, because in my LHBS the best that i have is Cascade hops and Vienna grains. Need Crystal malt and hops: Colombus, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo))) Thanks again. I was thinking than EXTRACT BREWING bordered by only making beer from beer kits))))

Old 02-07-2013, 01:39 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4356 Times on 3168 Posts
Likes Given: 847

1. Yes, it's ok. But it'd be preferable to add about 1/2 the extract at the end, to keep it from tasting like "cooked extract" and to keep the color lighter.

2. Not necessarily. You can make any beer with a few specialty grains, and malt extract, and hops.

I've never had any good experiences with the Cooper's kits, and I have nothing positive to say about their products, including the yeast, but I know a few people on the forum have "tweaked" their kits to get an ok product.

I'd start with a quality malt extract (Munton's and Briess both make dry extract) in the lightest color you can buy, and some crystal malt grains (normally 40L). A good quality dry yeast (Safale makes a good one called S05), and some hops, and you're all set.

justkev52 Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
bobbrews
Recipes 

Liked 281 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 18

You're using the wrong ingredients. Amber DME and European hops won't give you a West Coast IPA. No reason to make hop tea either.

You want to use Extra Light DME (1/3 added at boil start / 2/3 added at flameout). For extract IPAs, you need a little more simple sugar to ensure that signature West Coast dryness, so adding 10-13% dextrose added at flameout is a good practice.

Pitching enough healthy, clean American ale yeast like US-05, WLP001, WLP090, or Wyeast 1056 will also help you to achieve your goals for making a tasty WCIPA. Before pitching your yeast, make sure that the wort is highly oxygenated and in the low to mid 60's (F). After you set the airlock, you want to keep the wort away from light and oxygen and maintain temps. of the mid to late 60s.

West Coast hops include: Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Centennial, Nugget, Columbus, Cascade, Chinook, etc. - Follow a simple 60/10/0/DH schedule. After 2-3 weeks in the primary, add your dryhops, and then bottle a week later.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:45 AM   #10
Alcodoll
Recipes 

Thanks everyone, i will try to find proper ingredients to make something like wcipa.

Quick Reply