The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > IPA Kit at 1 week. Can I move to colder temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 02:17 AM   #1
bmckee56
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default IPA Kit at 1 week. Can I move to colder temp?

I began a Brewers Best IPA kit 1 week ago and am wondering if I should now move it to a colder location. My basement has an area which stays consistant at 50 degrees and it's dark and dry. How long should I leave it there to obtain the best results? Is it advisable to rack to a secondary prior to moving it to a colder location?

Sorry, lots of Noob questions I know, but I am getting more brews under my belt every week and am learning slowly.

Thanks!

Salute!

On Tap #1 - East End Brew
On Tap #2 - Nada
On Tap #3 - Nuttin-Honey Ale
Fermenting - BMB's Cascading Citra Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

You should ensure that the beer is pretty much done fermenting before moving it to a cooler room or moving to a secondary. At those temps the yeast will go dormant and if you remove it from the yeast cake it may not finish properly.

Check it with a hydrometer and if it has finished you can then move it. I would recommend 3 weeks total.

Gary

Old 01-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
HOOTER
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

You don't want to move it to a colder location until your sure fermentation is complete. Make sure your gravity is consistent, then rack to secondary and let 'er sit a couple weeks in the cool area before bottling. Secondary would be a good time to dry hop if applicable as well.

On tap: Hefeweizen, Centennial Blonde
Up next: Quality Beverages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Shorts Would Make Boners Obvious

Old 01-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #4
cuinrearview
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What yeast are you using? If you have a good quality yeast and the krausen has dropped I'd definately wait until ten days and rack onto the dry hops and put it in the basement for a couple more weeks.

Looking forward to brewing some beer

Old 01-23-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
andyb0527
Recipes 

A lot of people don't use a secondary and just leave it in primary for 3-4 weeks. If you are dry hopping then you should secondary. Either way don't bother moving to a colder spot for an ale.

Quick Reply