this is interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

z987k

Reaction score
Brewed my Belgian grand crew last night, pitched while labs wlp500 starter that I had made. It's in a 6.5 gal carboy and I was looking at it today and not much is happening, which isn't a big deal, may just be a big lag time, but I was looking at the airlock and I noticed the water is low, and I just filled it last night when I put it on. I watched it for a few mins and noticed it's sucking the water from the airlock to the carboy. Like there is low pressure in the carboy. So I popped the airlock off and put it back on, re-filling it and same thing. The atmospheric pressure difference between yesterday and today is not much so aside from that I have no idea why this is happening.

Only thing I can think of is if the atmospheric pressure changed a lot. Did you just have that cold front come through, day after those systems come through the pressure usually rises pretty fast.

Also, I had my equipment in a small abthroom and when I pushed the door open it would push the liquid down some, not enough to be sucked in but. . .

Pressure yesterday was 29.76inHg and right now it's 29.88inHg, thats a 120ft difference. I wouldn't think that .12in would be more than the co2 pressure. Oh well there's another low pressure system that should be here by tomorrow.

Hmm, temp difference. Fermenter is at 72 right now and the apartment is around 70. If anything the warmer air in the fermenter should be pushing out a bit. I do need to get that temp up a bit though.

Back