The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Inconsistent bottle carbonation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2011, 02:52 AM   #1
hoppybrewster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

Default Inconsistent bottle carbonation

I'm having issues with one bottle with tons of head and carb and the next with little or none. I put the cooled priming sugar solution in the bottling bucket first. The wort swirls the whole time it's being racked. Is that a good enough mix, cuz that's all I do?

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benny Franklin

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 03:10 AM   #2
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That should be yes. Sometimes you just don't luck out with it. You can try and gently stir with a racking cane, just dont splash, you don't want aeration, or you'll get off flavors.

Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!

Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
Quaker
Beer Missionary
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Check your capper and capping quality too. I've had "help" from friends at bottling time, and later discovered they had some lopsided or not well crimped. But from your description you probably are on the right path suspecting the mixing of priming sugars. You could try cooper's carb drops or similar products for a batch to confirm that.

My father says, "hobbies are supposed to cost money".

Old 12-13-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
Sippin37
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppybrewster View Post
I'm having issues with one bottle with tons of head and carb and the next with little or none. I put the cooled priming sugar solution in the bottling bucket first. The wort swirls the whole time it's being racked. Is that a good enough mix, cuz that's all I do?

Mike
I do the same thing and have never seen any issues from one bottle to the next. Also make sure that you are filling to the same level in each bottle. I used to fill all the way until the top with my wand still inside the bottle, but now I tend to anticipate it hitting the top of the bottle and pull it out a second before that. It all comes with practice. RDWHAHB

Old 12-13-2011, 03:36 AM   #5
hoppybrewster
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts

So far I'm doing everything you guys have said. I don't get it. By the way they do all taste the same.

Mike

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benny Franklin

Old 12-13-2011, 03:46 AM   #6
davcar74
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have had similar issues as have others who have posted on here....gentle stir after bottling bucket has filled to mix the sugar...don't do too much to oxidize.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:14 AM   #7
Pilotpip
Recipes 

How long are you letting the bottles sit before opening? I like to try throughout the aging process (read: I'm impatient) and get a flat beer from time to time. After a month or two they're consistient.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:50 AM   #8
quentin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I had that problem. Instead of adding the cooled priming sugar only at the bottom, I started adding half of it at the bottom, and the other half when I'm almost done racking it into the bottling bucket. So, a little at the bottom and a little at the top, then gently stir it (without splashing). It seems like that distributes it more evenly for me.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Ceetar
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

stirring sounds like the way to go. I've had similar issues, although not usually finding flat ones. I'm doing the average amount of corn sugar so I don't think it's just that I used too much, but most of my bottles have been slow volcanoes.

Maybe I'm just unlucky and I'm going to find some flat ones at the end, or I guess it's possible my yeast gave up a wee bit prematurely (although FG and time suggests not) and there was extra sugar that they found later on in the bottle?

But I was going to try a gentle stir or two once in a while as my bucket's filling after I add the sugar next time.

Old 12-13-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I add all of the sugar to the bottling bucket first. Then start racking the beer on top. As the last gallon or so is coming into the bucket, I'm providing some gentle swirling with the racking tube. Not enough to induce oxygen, but enough to get that sugar fully mixed in with the beer.

Make sure that you give each bottle a minimum of 24 hours in the fridge to get the CO2 into solution. 2 or 3 days might be better. If you were to open a freshly carbonated bottle with only a few hours of fridge time, I would guess much of the CO2 is still in the headspace.

Primary #1: Surly Bender clone #2:Berry Rhubarb Wine
Secondary #1
: Empty #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Dark Side Dunkel, Irish Red
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Spruced Warmer, CDA

Quick Reply