Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Incomplete Fermentation??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 12:59 AM   #1
Teddi Brewski
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Incomplete Fermentation??

Brewed Sat. a.m. (3.75 lbs Coopers Mexican Cervesa/7.50 lbs LWME, OG .088)
cooled to 65 dg., pitched yeast (10g Safbrew T58, 14g Coopers Ale Yeast). Okay, airlock action in about 4 hr., super bubbly through monday, began slowing, now a bubble every 15 seconds. Gravity currently at .040. Maybe (definitely) I'm just impatient, but I'm also a little concerned that at the current snails pace, she won't actually get down to...whaddya think it [I]should[I] get down to?? Thoughts??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddi Brewski View Post
Brewed Sat. a.m. (3.75 lbs Coopers Mexican Cervesa/7.50 lbs LWME, OG .088)
cooled to 65 dg., pitched yeast (10g Safbrew T58, 14g Coopers Ale Yeast). Okay, airlock action in about 4 hr., super bubbly through monday, began slowing, now a bubble every 15 seconds. Gravity currently at .040. Maybe (definitely) I'm just impatient, but I'm also a little concerned that at the current snails pace, she won't actually get down to...whaddya think it [I]should[I] get down to?? Thoughts??
I'm not sure how low it'll actually go without doing math (and I'm way too tipsy now for math), but in two weeks, ask us again.

That's just my smart alec way of saying that you started a BIG beer only 4 days ago and are just expected way too much too soon. Since the gravity is dropping, it's fermenting. Try to not check it again for at least a week or two. Then, it'll probably be about finished fermenting.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Teddi Brewski
Recipes 

Thank you for the sound advice, i'm just gonna lose sleep worrying that I'll check in two weeks and still be on the high side. Should I aerate? Rouse yeast? Or would any of that be premature at this point? Also, if anybody wants to give me a ballpark figure on how low I should expect this one to go, feel free. Peace.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4341 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddi Brewski View Post
Thank you for the sound advice, i'm just gonna lose sleep worrying that I'll check in two weeks and still be on the high side. Should I aerate? Rouse yeast? Or would any of that be premature at this point? Also, if anybody wants to give me a ballpark figure on how low I should expect this one to go, feel free. Peace.
Don't rouse, don't stir, it's best to just leave it alone. All you'd do is oxygenate it at this point. It's fermenting. The yeast knows how to do this.

I've never used that yeast, but you could look up the expected attenuation and figure it from there. What I mean is, if it's average attenuation is, say 75%, then you can expect that it would bring down the SG 75%. That's how I guestimate my final gravity, but I also take ingredients into consideration.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:07 PM   #5
GearBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I really wouldn't worry at this point if I were you; let the yeasties do their thing. However, the question of "rousing" the yeast came up in another thread awhile back. The consensus of that thread was that a gentle swirling of the fermentation vessel won't oxygenate the beer after fermentation has been going for awhile because the heavier CO2 from the yeast has purged the air from the fermenter.

I habitually swirl my primaries gently if they haven't reached their target after ~1 week (I err on the longer side, especially for heavier beers).

Kyle

Old 09-26-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Ecnerwal
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I realize that it's hard to manage when you are new to this, but you shouldn't even be looking at the gravity in 4 days.

For a beer this big, you should pitch it and come back for your very first investigatory look at anything other than (blowoff .vs. airlock - airlock/blowoff happy? - blowoff [if needed] done, switch to airlock) at two weeks. Leave it alone, leave it clean, and let yeast do what yeast do. If you have a secondary, you might transfer at two or three weeks and check the gravity then - and for this beer (1.088 SG), plan on leaving it parked in secondary for 3-8 weeks. Every time you open things up, you provide a small (if you are careful) but non-zero (no matter how careful) opportunity for other stuff to get in the fermenter. Minimize that opportunity by minimizing the amount you open the fermenter, and that means leaving it alone, as much as possible.

Re-filling the pipeline - got a lot of brewing to do.

Old 09-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2724 Times on 1632 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

This pretty much sums up the majority of our opinions on this matter...

You're making a big beer...just step away from it...Heck, most of us on here step away from ALL our beers for a few weeks.....It's even more important with a high grave beer...Look forward from hearing from you in a few weeks telling us we were right.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #8
tdavisii

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I agree with the above posts. I had a big beer that took three solid weeks just for primary fermentation. So i say dont even check it for minimum two weeks.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:10 PM   #9
Teddi Brewski
Recipes 

Thanks. We'll see what she has to say in 2wks.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
nihiles
Recipes 

Default ...while we wait

i figure i would bring up a fermentation/gravity question i have been trying to figure out. (thats how i came to read this thread).

i brewed two kits on sept6: true brew american wheat and brewers best american cream ale.
big blowoff for three or four days and then stopped (very slow bubbles), switched to airlock.
i have yet to see bubbles roll through the airlock on either brew.

GRAVITY
wheat: beginning 1.049-1.051 final 1.012-1.014
sept 6: 1.040
sept27: 1.020
cream ale: starting 1.040-1.055 final 1.008-1.012
sept 6: 1.052
sept27: 1.020

my carboys are stored in the dark at a fairly consistent 70degrees.
suggestions? im still trying to learn how to apply the gravity readings with the state of the beer. the airlocks make me think they are ready for bottling. but it seems like the brews blewoff and never moved on to the next step.

(appy polly loggies if bad form to post here like this)

carboy 3: :-(

Quick Reply