Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Improving Alcohol Content: Cooper's Draught Beer Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
knickspree
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Improving Alcohol Content: Cooper's Draught Beer Kit

I got this kit because after brewing 3 decent beers from cooper's (stout, lager, bitter english) I wanted to make something that tasted more like "commercial beer," to see what kind of results I could get. I just started my first batch last night. But now on my 2nd batch I want to try and increase the alcohol content.

With the original batch you mix in: the wort, boiling water, and Cooper's brew enhancer 1 (4.2% alcohol by volume).

So to increase the alcohol content on my next batch I ordered an exra brew enhancer 1 (1 kg each) to mix in.

How will this affect my alcohol content if I mix 2 kgs of brew enhancer instead 1? I'm lookin for around 6% (ABV) or slightly lower (but higher is fine).

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #2
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 597 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 160

The best way to increase the alcohol content in a beer is to buy a kit or brew a recipe that is designed for the alcohol level that you desire.

Adding sugar will boost the alcohol level but will also thin out and dry out the beer. Not often a good thing.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #3
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

What exactly is a brew enhancer? I'd say, look up the recipes for what you'relooking for and the abv. Start making your own recipes/kits. I have done this for my last 3 brews, and I've done 4 total.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:28 AM   #4
GashSlugg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Be 1= 600g dextrose. 400g maltodextrine Be 2= 250g dme. 250g maltodextrine. 500g dextrose.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
GashSlugg
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

IMO you would be better off with be2 and 500g of dme.. If using Coopers boxed ingredients. Maybe a few hundred extra grams of dextrose if you want to bump up the alcohol.

Old 08-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

Add a 3lb bag of plain DME & 1 box BE2 with 2oz of flavor hops to balance it out. That give a lighter beer with a bit more abv. See my reipes for how.

Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 231 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Add a 3lb bag of plain DME & 1 box BE2 with 2oz of flavor hops to balance it out. That give a lighter beer with a bit more abv. See my reipes for how.
This is probably a little closer to what you want to do. I've been screwing around with the Coopers IPA kit a little trying to develop an easy to brew house IPA that I can keep in stock. I took the first batch to my last club meeting and no one was complaining about it or even thinking it was an extract batch let alone a Coopers can. With two kids and little time to brew, I'm only able to brew all-grain about half the time. If not for doing the occasional extract/steeping kit on my stove, sometimes easier not to have to drag out that burner, or even a 10 minute DME boil with Coopers kit, I'd have a lot less beer around.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience. - C. S. Lewis, English essayist & juvenile novelist (1898 - 1963)

Old 08-22-2012, 05:05 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Liked 1926 Times on 1694 Posts
Likes Given: 1428

Well,I don't use the enhancers anymore since the 5.3% or so I get from a can with 3lb of DME & the right amount of hops is enough. I like them to be sessionable,but enough alcohol where I feel mellow after 4-5.
I don't always want a big truckload of alcohol. But the BE will add a bit more abv withthe DME without too much extra malt to offset with more hops. Depends on what is desired.

Quick Reply