Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Imperial Stout (with variants). Seeking advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
sweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I have a recipe in the extract forum. I just had another bottle, and its turning out great after only a little over a month. Just a few weeks ago the oak was more apparent, but its selling down. The vanilla is coming out,.and it looks like this is going to be a great beer in a few months.
That being said, as long as you have roasted barely, choc malts, you should be good. I also had black malt, and I added some molasses.
This was my second, so you should be good. RIS are such good beers. Hurry up on it, these take a while to age, that's why I had to hurry up and get it brewed in June. But even a little young these will be good, even better aged. Ferment a month and then plan the secondary right for your extra additions.

Btw, you have only 2 oz of hops, you can get away with doubling that. I used 5 oz.
Half the dme at the beginning, and half at the end is good. It'll get dark with the roasted barely and choc malts, so you can get away with amber/golden extract, our even light extract.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2012, 11:42 PM   #12
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown4 View Post

Mind sharing your recipe?
I used northern brewers RIS kit, added 3.15lb dark LME, .5lb special B, and 4oz bakers chocolate.
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 08-27-2012, 01:56 AM   #13
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
I used northern brewers RIS kit, added 3.15lb dark LME, .5lb special B, and 4oz bakers chocolate.
How did you like the special B in there? I've been thinking about trying it in a stout but haven't yet...

Old 08-27-2012, 02:52 AM   #14
looneybomber
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I added .5lb to my stout and to my porter. The bad news is I don't have a non special b batch to compare it too.

I do like my stout, and so does my wife. It has a ton of body, it's very thick. It has quite a bit of malty sweetness and chocolate with some dark chocolate bitterness to it. However, I fermented a tad warm and over pitched my yeast, so now I am waiting for some of the fusel alcohols to go away and the overall flavor to mellow. I think the chocolate dominates the special b.

Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

Old 08-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #15
tbrown4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessRockwell View Post
How did you like the special B in there? I've been thinking about trying it in a stout but haven't yet...
Quote:
I added .5lb to my stout and to my porter. The bad news is I don't have a non special b batch to compare it too.

I do like my stout, and so does my wife. It has a ton of body, it's very thick. It has quite a bit of malty sweetness and chocolate with some dark chocolate bitterness to it. However, I fermented a tad warm and over pitched my yeast, so now I am waiting for some of the fusel alcohols to go away and the overall flavor to mellow. I think the chocolate dominates the special b.
So what is this "special b" you speak of?

What do you think helped with the body? That's something I definitely want in my stout.

Quote:
Thanks! That would certainly be a good jumping point. My IPA started with a NB kit with added DME and completely different hops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post
Btw, you have only 2 oz of hops, you can get away with doubling that. I used 5 oz.
Half the dme at the beginning, and half at the end is good. It'll get dark with the roasted barely and choc malts, so you can get away with amber/golden extract, our even light extract.
This was intentional. I don't want there to be much of a hop presence. I want just enough to have it balanced. I generally prefer my dark beers to not be overly hoppy.

No, 2 oz is of course a minimum. It's calculated to be about 55 IBUs, which seems like it'd be fairly well balanced for the OG. But I guess it's the perceived bitterness that really counts.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:49 PM   #16
tbrown4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Also, about the late addition for DME. What is the advantage to splitting and doing a late addition? How would it benefit my beer?

Old 08-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #17
sweed
Recipes 

Liked 110 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown4
Also, about the late addition for DME. What is the advantage to splitting and doing a late addition? How would it benefit my beer?
I just did it because all that lme/dme , less chance of a burn I figured. You can do all at the beginning. I just split all my additions now.

Old 08-28-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
tbrown4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweed View Post

I just did it because all that lme/dme , less chance of a burn I figured. You can do all at the beginning. I just split all my additions now.
Ok, that makes sense. Thanks!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:50 PM   #19
tbrown4
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Brewing this on Monday. Should I up the dextrine to more than 0.5#? Or is that enough to give decent body and head retention?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
ChessRockwell
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown4 View Post
Brewing this on Monday. Should I up the dextrine to more than 0.5#? Or is that enough to give decent body and head retention?
I wouldn't add more, you'll get plenty of body from the gravity of the brew itself. (higher OG --> higher FG)

Quick Reply