Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I'm tossing it down the drain!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2007, 02:34 PM   #1
ayrton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I'm tossing it down the drain!

Recipe is here.

I tried every damned thing I could think of with this batch. It just will NOT ferment correctly. It refuses to drop below 1.036 or so. I even re-pitched another vial of a different type of yeast, and STILL I have nothing. Temperature has been between 65 - 70 the entire time (see below for a possible exception). I've never had a beer behave so strangely! I do have several ideas that might account for this stuck-in-the-mud fermentation:

1) I picked the hops in September from my aunt-in-law's vines. She uses some sort of insecticide, but I made sure to rinse them before drying them and then sticking them in the freezer until late December. Not sure if that could account for anything or not. The lupulins were still bright yellow and the hops smelled great during the boil, though, so I can't tell.

2) The water I used this time was from my tap, but it was run through a Brita filter. The water in my town is pretty heavily chlorinated, and while my filter is supposed to remove that, it may have done so insufficiently. This one seems unlikely, though, because I've had good batches using my water in the past.

3) The temperature in my kitchen is always between 65 and 70 degrees, but I can't tell if it's a little cooler at the floor level. I put the carboy in a closet for a couple days and nothing happened. Still, though, other batches have always been fine, so why should this one be any different?

At any rate, it's going to be a dark, swirling whirlpool in my sink tonight. Die, you evil batch of unfermentable goop.

Conditioning: None
Drinking: None (!)
Recently Kicked: None
Up Next: Beats me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

A moment of silence.

How did you aerate this batch? Anything different?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:41 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

R.I.P., Evil Goop.

What was your OG? Have you actually tried some of it? I've had brews finish out high, but still taste damned good.

None of the factors you mention should inhibit fermentation. One thing, though: did you aerate your wort properly? And do you know how old the yeast was? Did your starter have any actual activity?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 01-22-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

After it cooled to 70 degrees with my chiller, I put the lid on and shook the begeezus out of it for a few minutes, as per usual. I suppose it's possible it wasn't enough for some reason. Clearly *something* went wrong, so I can't deny any ideas.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
R.I.P., Evil Goop.

What was your OG? Have you actually tried some of it? I've had brews finish out high, but still taste damned good.

None of the factors you mention should inhibit fermentation. One thing, though: did you aerate your wort properly? And do you know how old the yeast was? Did your starter have any actual activity?
O.G. was 1.062. It does taste OK, but shoot...that's like 3% ABV. Not that I go for target gravity alone, but I do like my beers to have *some* alcohol.

Old 01-22-2007, 02:44 PM   #6
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 83 Times on 73 Posts

Yeast starter?

Old 01-22-2007, 02:47 PM   #7
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 361 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 97

The insecticide kind of scares me, I'm not sure if people who grow hops commonly use anything. I'd think making an aeration system - either the aquarium pump setup that Evan uses, or the oxygenation system that I just bought - the next upgrade to your setup.

How long has it been since you brewed the batch? Are you sure that the closet is warm? Last-gasp measure might be to leave it somewhere that you KNOW is warm, toss in a packet of dry yeast, wrap it in some blankets, and see if it restarts.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This could be totally off-base and useless, but my understanding was that you're supposed to keep the wort above 70ºF until fermentation begins in earnest, then move it to a cooler location to get it to your desired fermentation temp, say 65ºF or whatever. I thought keeping it cooler than that early on could stunt the yeast significantly. That could also account for why pitching a second vial didn't help; your temps were too cool then as well. It might not actually make that much difference, but I thought I'd throw it out there as a possibility.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #9
MriswitH
Recipes 

Out of curiosity, was it Laaglander DME that you used or something different?

If it was Laaglander, there is a good chance that you're as good as you're going to get. It has a relatively low fermentation rate and leaves a lot of sugars behind.

Old 01-22-2007, 03:05 PM   #10
ayrton

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Yeast starter?
Yup. Active as heck before I pitched it, too.

Quote:
How long has it been since you brewed the batch? Are you sure that the closet is warm? Last-gasp measure might be to leave it somewhere that you KNOW is warm, toss in a packet of dry yeast, wrap it in some blankets, and see if it restarts.
I brewed it two weeks ago yesterday. I actually placed it flush against the heater in the kitchen for the last couple days, and nada. I've given this beer more chances than it deserves. I *hate* the thought of watching $40 and four hours' worth of work going down the tubes, but I think it's just that time.

Someone play taps for me.

Quick Reply