Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > If I was running spacecraft mine would have crashed....

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
zorton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default If I was running spacecraft mine would have crashed....

For those space geeks out there: Mars Climate Orbiter

I started my second brew last night but quickly discovered I had made a rather *ahem* basic mistake. While adding the water to the syrup I began to get worried my primary fermenter would not handle the whole 9 liters required. I was already up to 3 liters and the fermenter was looking pretty full....

I'm afraid I was reading the gallon scale on my fermenter instead of the liter scale while adding the water. I stopped where I was and pitched the yeast I had re-hydrating. All in all, I had an additional 3 liters of water in my wort.

Throwing the lid on in disgust, I tried my hardest to shrug my shoulders and say "it's only beer and we'll see what we get".

After a nights sleep I realized a few more things I did wrong as well:
-I forgot to measure the SG before pitching the yeast.
-I didn't check the temperature of the wort before pitching.

This morning the airlock is bubbling away happily though giving me some hope this batch may not be ruined.

This kit was a Brewferm Diablo. I used 500g of Coopers Light unhopped malt extract in lieu of the sugar. I ignored John Palmers heartfelt instructions and also used the yeast on the top of the can. What can I say, the homebrew store lives quite a few miles away.

Is this brew lost? Any suggestions on what I should do with the additional 3 liters of water in the wort?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
de_ronde
Recipes 

So, you have 12 liters instead of 9 liters?

That just means you will have a lower body, lower alcohol beer by about 25%.
Brewferm Diablo Lite.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
zorton
Recipes 

A little demon not the full head honcho himself....

Old 02-26-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
mmb
FNG
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3148 Times on 3056 Posts
Likes Given: 164

It will be watered down but still drinkable. Write down what you did in case you every need to duplicate it.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 164 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I see your problem, it's liters, you will never make good beer using antiquated measurements. Gallons, quarts and ounces is where it's at for making good beer.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I may be not reading it right, but are you saying that you have 9 liters of wort in your fermenter? Most beer kits are 19 liters or 5 gallons, so you either read the scales completely wrong, or you have a half filled fermenter.

A pepsi bottle is 2 liters, so if your fermenter was looking pretty full after 3 liters then you have the tiniest fermenter ever.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 02-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
zorton
Recipes 

The brewferm kits seem to output lower amounts compared to other kits i've been using. The ones i've brewed output 9Liters total.

So, the consensus seems to be "don't worry, it's only beer" and let it come out a bit lighter.

Should I pop the top and take a SG reading today or just leave it be?

Old 02-26-2009, 05:45 PM   #8
TexasStu
Recipes 

I'd leave it be until you think it's all done then take a reading. If it's the same a day or two later then time to rack.
Sounds like you made light beer?
I have the Coopers fermenter so I've been adjusting to the 23L instead of ~19L also.
I think the wort temp. would be the worse mistake but if it's bubbling you didn't kill the yeast so all should be well.
I pitch the coopers dry yeast as well as done a starter a couple times with it. I haven't noticed any difference. Maybe a few hours before it gets going but I'm usually asleep then so I can't tell.
Enjoy!

Owner/Operator of Stupour Brewing

Primary 1: Empty
Primary 2: Coopers Australian Pale Ale
Secondary Keg (room temp.):
Kegged:
Bottled: AHS Blue Moon Belgian White
On Deck: "Cascading Coopers Pale Ale"
& All-In! Winner's Choice Pale Ale.
2009 Total gallons = 53

Old 02-26-2009, 05:48 PM   #9
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
I see your problem, it's liters, you will never make good beer using antiquated measurements. Gallons, quarts and ounces is where it's at for making good beer.
Haha yes, Who wants to end up with gross beer such as Orval, Westmalle, Rochefort or any other of the Best beers ever that are not brewed in the US

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 02-26-2009, 07:27 PM   #10
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Haha yes, Who wants to end up with gross beer such as Orval, Westmalle, Rochefort or any other of the Best beers ever that are not brewed in the US
All of those are traditionally brewed using classic measurements, not metric (Orval and Rochefort's brewing predates the existence of the metric system by hundreds of years, and Westmalle's been brewing at least since well before Belgium used the metric system).

It's only relatively recently that they've broken with the traditional method in the name of expediency. There's a reason that even in metrified countries you can still get yourself a pint of beer.

(I kid, I kid)

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Quick Reply