Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > If I have lots of trub in fermenter, how high should I fill fermenter?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 12:11 AM   #1
Perennial Tears
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default If I have lots of trub in fermenter, how high should I fill fermenter?

I brewed an IPA with lots of hops and 2lbs of specialty grains. I have lots of trub,,,about three inches on the bottom of a 6.5 Carboy. Should I still fill it to the 5 gallon mark I made by adding five gallons of water to the carboy or should I go over that line to compensate for the 3 inches of trub?

FYI
I just filled it to the line.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006, 01:09 AM   #2
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 3 Posts

You should not worry about the quantity so much. If you're adding water, add it to the proper starting gravity. Toss in your hydrometer and start adding water til the gravity matches the expected SG.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply