Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > if 90% are extract brewing. why the sudden rush to all grain ?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
BronxBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Default if 90% are extract brewing. why the sudden rush to all grain ?

Dont get me wrong. the guys who all grain or partial have the space and time. also i would go on record and say this is more of a past time than hobby. the thing is once brew day is over you are waiting for weeks on end to bottle. thats lots of down time. bottling happens then again down time to condition. don't get me wrong i have a pipe line going where I'm always doing something. Im a beer drinker.

if the extract brews can win countless awards vs all grain. why is there so much effort to push people to all grain ? why is there a push ? is it really better or does it give something to do ?

going on the fact there is 90% of home brewers doing extract. why isn't more HBSS "home brew supply stores" offering more verity for extract brewers ?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-26-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
neosapien
Recipes 

Liked 139 Times on 98 Posts
Likes Given: 395

grains are generally going to be cheaper than extracts. you get more flexibility in your recipes with grains than with extract alone.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
pohldogg
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

1) extract is much more expensive than grain the less I spend on ingredients the more I get to brew.
2) control of mash temp and fermentability of wort.
3) can use adjuncts and grains that need to be mashed and don't come in extract.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
AmandaK
Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 104 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Sources for your fact? I doubt that 90% of homebrewers are extract brewers.

Northern Brewer offers a ridiculous amount of extract options. They even have Rye Malt syrup and Munich malt syrup. So... there is variety.

The "push" to all grain is about controlling your system fully and being able to fully exploit ingredients that you can't without a mash. You know, nerd stuff.

Souring: #32 Lambic 2.0, #49 Lambic 3.0, #60 3763 Flanders Brown, #61 WLP665 Flanders Brown
Conditioning: #38 Golden Sour, #58 Hooch Cider, #79 Dopplebock, #84 Amy Cider
Drinkin': #16 Lambic 1.0 (Drunk Monk BOS), #84 Fall Cider
People Like This 
Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 PM   #5
LandoLincoln
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 498 Times on 300 Posts

Maybe 10% of homebrewers started out on all-grain and never brewed an extract batch. That's plausible.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #6
jperry
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 527

Because opening a can of extract and dumping it into a kettle is really boring, even if it does turn out tasty. I got into brewing because it is DIY, which is the reason why I'm not satisfied with watching syrup boil. I like to crush grain myself, and even grow hops in the backyard. I may be a control freak though... haha

Old 07-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #7
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1028 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

+1 to everything said above. Almost thought someone was trolling when I read the OP. More control and cheaper batches was a no-brainer for me. Average extract batches before cost me $40-60. With AG I have brewed 5 gal batches as cheap as $10.

Most importantly, my beer GOT BETTER when I switched to AG. That's really all that mattered to me.

Oh, and for the most part BJCP judges are usually, well, never mind.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
BronxBrew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaK;4282292[B
]Sources for your fact? [/B]I doubt that 90% of homebrewers are extract brewers.

Northern Brewer offers a ridiculous amount of extract options. They even have Rye Malt syrup and Munich malt syrup. So... there is variety.

The "push" to all grain is about controlling your system fully and being able to fully exploit ingredients that you can't without a mash. You know, nerd stuff.
Charlie Papazian ? is he not he god father of home brew ? I'm not starting a debate between extract and all grain brewing. just wondering why so many HB shops as well as HB companies haven't given more to the extract community ?

Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #9
HawksBrewer
Audible Brewing
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1028 Times on 968 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I started brewing extract w/ specialty grains for the first year before switching to AG and never had any problems obtaining extract from my LHBS. Granted I only ever used Extra Light DME as a blank slate for every beer, but they also had light, amber, dark and wheat DMEs and LMEs. Not sure what else you would need to brew extract besides the extract itself, unless I'm missing something.

Old 07-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #10
BronxBrew
Recipes 

this is the "extract part of the forum" no ? All grain has its own section i think. Why belittle extract brewers to think we have to go all grain or else ? seems kinda segregated if you ask me.

Quick Reply