Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I'd like to add a fruit to my Hefe kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
wheatie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

n00b question: what defines quality yeast? The kit came with Munich, is that quality enough?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #12
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatie View Post
n00b question: what defines quality yeast? The kit came with Munich, is that quality enough?
I think you really just need to find the strain that you like the best. I'm partial to WLP300, it's a Banana Bomb when fermented at 70-72F!
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 07-30-2010, 03:36 PM   #13
CrookedTail
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatie View Post
Danstar Munich? That's a dry yeast. I've never tried it, but I've heard it's decent. Not great, but decent.

Stay the hell away from Safbrew WB-06. I used it once on a hefe and it sucks. There's a lot of reviews out there that say the same thing.

Your best bet is one of the liquid yeasts. Wyeast 3068 is the best of them. It'll cost more money, but it's totally worth it.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:36 PM   #14
pmdbama
Recipes 

i've used a non-fermentable peach extract and it came out great. directions were to use the whole bottle for a 5 gal batch just before bottling. i knew that the extract would come out tasting artificial, so i went with 3/4 of the bottle to just hint at the flavor. the whole batch only lasted 1 bbq.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:35 PM   #15
wheatie
Recipes 

Another question: I have this bottle(a little more than a quart) of peach nectar sitting in my fridge...we'll never drink it. Think it would work? It says it contains 45% juice, and the ingredients are water, peach puree, sugar.

I've already brewed the beer, it's in the primary with a blow off tube.

Casey

Old 08-06-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
wyzazz
Recipes 

You could use it but since it contains sugar I'd wait until primary fermentation is over and then add the nectar to the beer. Taste it after that secondary fermentation settles down and see where you're at.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 08-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
tenchu_11
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

So i've had a questions what are the pros and cons of fruit extracts. I love Hefs and it seems like every brew has a raspberry wheat extract kits and I've always been on the sideline not sure wether to get one or not. Are fruit extract pretty good?

Old 08-07-2010, 12:19 PM   #18
wyzazz
Recipes 

Fruit extract is easy to add, stores well, and allows you to "add to taste".

Real fruit doesn't store well, is more difficult to add, but gives you the most natural and freshest flavor.

That IMHO is the difference.

Old 08-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #19
Solaris79
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenchu_11 View Post
So i've had a questions what are the pros and cons of fruit extracts. I love Hefs and it seems like every brew has a raspberry wheat extract kits and I've always been on the sideline not sure wether to get one or not. Are fruit extract pretty good?
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/The-Jamil-Show/Fruit-Beers-The-Jamil-Show-04-24-06

They have a really good discussion about the differences between using whole fruit, extract, and pre-canned puree.

Quick Reply