I want a good body...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbreen01

Reaction score
I'm an extract + steeped grains brewer, and I've found that I'm often disappointed in the amount of body and mouthfeel that I get. I'm not sure what I need to add to get a little more out of my beers. Is this something that is difficult to obtain with extract? Or will priming with DME help (vs. corn sugar that I usu use). Do I need to steep with more grains to get more unfermentables? Malto-dextrin to the wort? Has anyone else had the same problem?
Thanks for the help.

Marc.

Both adding more grains and malto-dextrin will add to the beer's body. Some argue that using DME for priming helps as well; practically speaking, you use so little it's hard to see how it would make a discernable difference. Lactose adds body as well, along with a little residual sweetness.

The Bird, so in your opinion, malto-dextrin would be the #1 additive to gain body? If so, how much would you add to a 5 gal batch? I know it's subjective to the consumer's taste, but what's a ballpark figure to start with?

Try 1/2 lb of MD to start. I've used as little as 4 oz. and as much as 12 in extract recipes.

Add 1 cup of Oatmeal to the boil. It will help the body and make the head creamier.

Good old Quaker Oats from the grocery store will do just fine.

Does the oatmeal have any effect on the taste? When during the boil do you add it?

i would mash the oatmeal, or steep it in your case...

try adding a few more pounds of a base malt to your steep... i'd recomend some munich or vienna malt, as well as some carapils and or caramunich/caravienna....

flaked barley and oatmeal will also give nice body, and head retention, but will cloud your beer a bit.

Latest posts

Back