Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I spilled a portion of my yeast.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM   #1
rightcheek86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default I spilled a portion of my yeast.

I just completed the White House Honey Ale last night and when pitching the yeast (Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast), I dropped the bag into the wort. Luckily I had sanitized the bag before opening it. After I dumped the rest in and put the lid on, I looked in the yeast packet to find that maybe 1/4th of it didn't make it in, and it was contaminated by the trash at this point.

Today when I woke up the airlock was bubbling the normal amount (couple bubbles a second) so I assume that I am fine, but would like to know if I need to add additional yeast. I feel I should be alright because of the amount of sugars that are in the ingredients, am I correct?

Here are the fermentables-
6.3 lbs Gold malt syrup
1 lb Gold dry malt extract
1 lb Honey

Any help would be much appreciated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:29 PM   #2
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You'll be fine. Likely it just took longer for the yeast to reproduce to a point to use up the oxygen and enter anaerobic stage. At the worst you might have some slight off flavors from the added on stress on the yeast or end up with fermentation getting stuck. When it stops action simply take a gravity reading to see where it is.

Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 90 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightcheek86 View Post
I just completed the White House Honey Ale last night and when pitching the yeast (Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast), I dropped the bag into the wort. Luckily I had sanitized the bag before opening it. After I dumped the rest in and put the lid on, I looked in the yeast packet to find that maybe 1/4th of it didn't make it in, and it was contaminated by the trash at this point.

Today when I woke up the airlock was bubbling the normal amount (couple bubbles a second) so I assume that I am fine, but would like to know if I need to add additional yeast. I feel I should be alright because of the amount of sugars that are in the ingredients, am I correct?

Here are the fermentables-
6.3 lbs Gold malt syrup
1 lb Gold dry malt extract
1 lb Honey

Any help would be much appreciated
Was the OG 1.062? According to MrMalty.com you technically needed the whole packet, but I'm sure it will be fine. It'll make beer. No worries.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard
rightcheek86 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
krduckman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I wouldn't worry about it. It's bubbling, so it's working.

Quick Reply