Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I need help!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #11
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by naga77777 View Post
To be quite honest, i've never done a beer that big.

I Just started brewing last Year, and don't have the patience yet. I would think as long as you get it off the yeast cake (And you do, by racking to secondary) it would be OK to age it in the secondary. But then, I would worry about having to add yeast for bottling-- and i have no idea if you'd need to or not.

I wonder if it'd be OK to just age it after bottling?

someone else chime in
Yep, age is age. I have a barley wine I bottled in April 2011; looking forward to a 2 year old bottle in a few months! If you "secondary" too long, you may indeed have carbonation issues if bottle conditioning. For my barley wine (a 1.098 bomber) I just did a primary for about 5 weeks and went straight to the bottles at room temperature for 2 weeks to ensure good carbonation. They've been stored at 50 degrees ever since and get better every six months I try 'em. Aging is a tough thing to explain; I've never read an accurate technical explanation of why it works. Taste buds don't lie though, the flavors "mellow", the bitterness smooths out, any "green" flavors disappear, and the beer just ends up being more than the sum of its parts....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply