Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > i got some DME for Easter and and don't know what it makes!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #11
2ned-up
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbed
Hi 2ned,

This might help you with your recipe. 100grams DME + 1 Litre of water = SG 1.040 (.22 oz. + 1 Quart = 1.040).

Bring your kettle to a boil. Remove from heat, add DME and bring back to a boil for an hour, etc, etc.
"SG" = starting gravity???

"Wow that Bud Light was the best beer I've ever had!" said no one ever!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
greenthumbed
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Hi 2ned,

I'm sorry I guess I should have been more specific. S.G. refers to "Specific Gravity". It's kinda like "Original Gravity" but more in general I would say. It refers to a gravity reading at any time of the ferment.

Last edited by greenthumbed; 04-09-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Old 04-10-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 616 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbed View Post
Hi 2ned,

I'm sorry I guess I should have been more specific. S.G. refers to "Specific Gravity". It's kinda like "Original Gravity" but more in general I would say. It refers to a gravity reading at any time of the ferment.
specific gravity (SG) is any reading with a hydrometer - it's what a hydrometer measures. original gravity (OG) and final gravity (FG) are both SG readings at different times - one is before fermentation, the other is after. so OG and FG are two SG readings taken at specific times. if you took a reading with your hydrometer half way through fermentation you would still be reading the brew's SG at that time (and the value would be somewhere between your OG and the FG).

Drinking: citra saison
Fermenting: a hop-bursted APA w/ Conan, a citra farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend.
Aging: a bunch of belgian and soured stuff.
Up next: either an imperial stout or something to use up my homegrown hops... TBD.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:00 PM   #14
2ned-up
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed with this stuff last night I took the malted wheat and toasted it for a half hour and mashed it with 4 lbs of 2 row and then added the DME. I continuously hopped the palisade for the first 20 minutes of the boil and then at 40 I added the glacier and at flame out I added the ahtanum, pitched some us-05 and now we wait!!!!

"Wow that Bud Light was the best beer I've ever had!" said no one ever!

Quick Reply