I Eat Danger For Breakfast Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bklando

Reaction score
Brewed up yesterday and bubbling away today, thank you to Jasper's Homebrew. Cannot wait to taste this beauty.

With a title like that I was expecting a little more!haha

What is the recipe? I love stouts, and have an imperial fermenting right now.

O.G. 1.082
F.G. 1.018
ABV 8.3%
IBU's 60

3.3 Lbs Munich Malt Syrup
5.3 Lbs Light Malt Syrup
1.1 Lbs Wheat Malt Syrup
16oz Roasted Barley
10 oz Chocolate Malt
8 oz De-husked Carafa1 Malt
4 oz Coffee Malt
8 oz 150L Crystal Malt
4 oz Special B Malt
16 oz Flaked Oats
24 oz Unsweetened Bakers Chocolate
5 oz Dark Roasted Coffee Beans

2 oz Horizon Hops (65 Min)
1/2 oz Willamette (30 Min)
1/2 oz /willamette (1 Min)

Safale US-05

~5 oz of fresh ground coffee beans steep for 10 min. at flameout.
~With 5 min remaining in boil, add 24 oz chocolate, 5.3 lbs Light Malt Syruo, and 1.1 lbs of Wheat Malt Syrup.

Will do, gonna be hard to wailt for this one. Time to plan the next. Maybe a Scotch Ale or IIPA

I almost ordered this last week. I got the Forbidden Fruit Belgian White since it was cheaper and it is my first solo brew. Looking forward to hearing how this turns out.

Well, had my first bottle today, must say amazing. Green but another month in the bottle it will ne heaven.

Exceeded my expectations with this stout, I want to brew it again and age it with bourbon soaked oak cubes. Any thoughts?

Perfect balance of chocolate and coffee notes. Reminds me of founders breakfast stout. A blind taste test is in order as soon as I can get a bottle.

Label possibility? ;)

image-4046172966.jpg

brewed a couple batches of this side by side last night - can't believe how dark it is, & how good the wort tasted. Had the yeast spinning on a stir plate for >30 hours, it's bubbling like crazy.

I am making this this weekend. I am looking forward to it! I wanted to know about the chocolate and coffee. Did you use a solid 2 lb block in the last 5 minutes of boil? Since it was part of the boil did it kill the flavor? Did you add the coffe the way they also recomended it? I was thinking about cold brew into the secondary. I figure I will need a blow off tube for this one!

I did it pretty much according to the recipe but we used a little more chocolate & we used semi sweet chips, a little more than called for.

We made 2 batches side by side on my stove. He kegged his, I bottled mine.

The only thing I'd do differently is maybe buy it from Jasper's homebrew (for the first time) instead of assembling everything myself, but no regrets, at all. I drank a bunch of bottles before it even carbed up after trying some from his tap.

This makes Guiness taste like fizzy yellow water - you won't drink it again!!!

It's a lot more coffee (grounds) than I expected...flavor is good.

Two questions. First, how is the mouthfeel of this beer? Is 16oz of flaked oat enough to give it a full body? Should I add some malto or lactose? Second, do you think this beer would improve if I added some vanilla to it?

I don't think you'd regret Vanilla, I want to try that next.

It's very full bodied IMO. I'm not quite sure how to describe it - it's not a porter, but kind of close.

Try it as-is, if you have something better then tell me! Or if you mod it (& like it) post it here!

I'll make it again. It was a little more expensive (not much), but well worth it. I also made a homemade stirplate - that makes everything go crazy with a 2" stirbar, but with a 6.5 gallon primary, no problem.

I just cracked a warm 12 ozer :) now see what you made me do :)

I've had a couple tequila/grapefruit juice/triple sec "margaritas" tonight....sipping on a SNPA and a warm IEDFB, Stout....wondering what to brew next.

I did it pretty much according to the recipe but we used a little more chocolate & we used semi sweet chips, a little more than called for.

We made 2 batches side by side on my stove. He kegged his, I bottled mine.

The only thing I'd do differently is maybe buy it from Jasper's homebrew (for the first time) instead of assembling everything myself, but no regrets, at all. I drank a bunch of bottles before it even carbed up after trying some from his tap.

This makes Guiness taste like fizzy yellow water - you won't drink it again!!!

It's a lot more coffee (grounds) than I expected...flavor is good.

Wow you used MORE chocolate? I was under the impression that this recipe had a lot of chocolate to begin with. I actually used a little bit less that what was called for. Depending on how it tastes, I may add something chocolatey to secondary (in addition to my bourbon vanilla extract)

not much - I figured since it was supposed to be darker it'd be fine, plus the higher sugar or lactose would make it a little higher %. Just cracked another 22oz of it warm. Nice head, great flavor imo.

I just went and grabbed some OLD 'pure' vanilla extract from my cabinet-----it's probably 6 years old. I added a couple drops to half a pint - ehhhhh, you could taste it, then I added quite a bit more and it was good but I might look for something that's intended to be a vanilla stout instead of changing this one too much - it's good enough as-is!

Maybe cut the chocolate by >half and add ???? homemade vanilla extract + heavy coffee ------ good vs evil this one I tell ya.

not much - I figured since it was supposed to be darker it'd be fine, plus the higher sugar or lactose would make it a little higher %. Just cracked another 22oz of it warm. Nice head, great flavor imo.

I just went and grabbed some OLD 'pure' vanilla extract from my cabinet-----it's probably 6 years old. I added a couple drops to half a pint - ehhhhh, you could taste it, then I added quite a bit more and it was good but I might look for something that's intended to be a vanilla stout instead of changing this one too much - it's good enough as-is!

Maybe cut the chocolate by >half and add ???? homemade vanilla extract + heavy coffee ------ good vs evil this one I tell ya.

I'm racking to secondary this weekend, so I'll let everyone know how it goes. I only steeped 4oz of coffee (instead of 5oz) and added 1.25 lb of baker's chocolate (instead of 1.5lb). Depending on how it tastes, I'll decide if I need more coffee or chocolate flavor. If so, I'll add cold brewed coffee and/or cacao beans during secondary. I also have some homemade vanilla extract (in bourbon).

So after 2 weeks I racked it to the secondary. What a sludge at the bottem of the bucket. Really a waste. I only was able to get about 4 gallons from the primary. All the chocolate and yeast I felt was at the bottom. Inthought about taking a scoop and throwing it also in the secondary, but did not. Did you all have that too? It was a wild fermentation also. I was happy to put a blow off on it, but the gravity after 2 weeks show it still has much more to go. Thoughts?

So after 2 weeks I racked it to the secondary. What a sludge at the bottem of the bucket. Really a waste. I only was able to get about 4 gallons from the primary. All the chocolate and yeast I felt was at the bottom. Inthought about taking a scoop and throwing it also in the secondary, but did not. Did you all have that too? It was a wild fermentation also. I was happy to put a blow off on it, but the gravity after 2 weeks show it still has much more to go. Thoughts?

What was the OG and what was the reading that you took after two weeks?

Sorry I have not responded, I wanted to wait until i bottled to review all the results and get opinions. So the OG was 1.062 and after 2 weeks of what I would say violent fermenting it went to 1.020 so I was worried that it seemed high. As I bottled today it did taste good, a bit bitter, but that is not a surprise as I put the full 24 oz unsweetened bakers chocolate. The fg did not change after a month in the secondary. This was my 3rd brew so there were some differences to the recipe. Since my local hb store did not have an easy way to get all the malt syrup I was told to use 1# wheat dme and 4# golden light dme and since it was a "big beer" I was told to use two full packets of bry 97 yeast.
Next time I will get it from Jasper's as it would have been cheaper and more accurate. I will circle back in 2 weeks once bottling conditioning is done.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Also I would add I lost so much initially as there was 4-6 inches of traub in primary. Only bottled a little under 4 gallons, closer to 3 3/4

Brewed this about three weeks ago, picked up the ingredients at my LHBS and had to make some substitutions but nothing substantial. OG was spot-on at 1.073 (according to BeerSmith), just checked a few minutes ago and it's at 1.019, so ready to bottle. I didn't secondary, so we'll see how that turns out. Tasting my gravity sample gave a lot of up-front coffee, with no chocolate at all (weird). I also noticed my sample had a pretty serious gradient, with the bottom being almost pale, and shading to just about black at the top. I'm very curious to give this one a try, picked up a 4-pack of FBS (which I had never tried) and I was kind of "meh", hopefully I'll like this version better!

Brewed this about three weeks ago, picked up the ingredients at my LHBS and had to make some substitutions but nothing substantial. OG was spot-on at 1.073 (according to BeerSmith), just checked a few minutes ago and it's at 1.019, so ready to bottle. I didn't secondary, so we'll see how that turns out. Tasting my gravity sample gave a lot of up-front coffee, with no chocolate at all (weird). I also noticed my sample had a pretty serious gradient, with the bottom being almost pale, and shading to just about black at the top. I'm very curious to give this one a try, picked up a 4-pack of FBS (which I had never tried) and I was kind of "meh", hopefully I'll like this version better!

Any update?

Could it possibly have a better name? I don't think so.

Gonna brew it this weekend with cickory instead of coffee

Update: Cracked open the first one of these last night, still too green to be sure, but the taste has changed dramatically. The coffee flavor has faded, leaving a muddled mess behind. More bitter than a stout should be, with no chocolate anywhere. I'm sure it'll improve over the next few weeks.

Update: Cracked open the first one of these last night, still too green to be sure, but the taste has changed dramatically. The coffee flavor has faded, leaving a muddled mess behind. More bitter than a stout should be, with no chocolate anywhere. I'm sure it'll improve over the next few weeks.

Any updates?

i did this one and added only 8oz of dark baker's choco squares, and 3 oz of locally roasted costa rican beans. on top of this, added 10 oz of unsweetened organic coconut, toasted in a dry skillet in a vodka "extract".

in the top 3 kits from jaspers and i buy from them often.

to do it again, i'd up the choco to 12 oz and rack over and let rest for 1 month.
mine was kegged, and it was amazeballs. YES, i'd also add a vanilla bean to the coconut extract.

i did this one and added only 8oz of dark baker's choco squares, and 3 oz of locally roasted costa rican beans. on top of this, added 10 oz of unsweetened organic coconut, toasted in a dry skillet in a vodka "extract".

in the top 3 kits from jaspers and i buy from them often.

to do it again, i'd up the choco to 12 oz and rack over and let rest for 1 month.
mine was kegged, and it was amazeballs. YES, i'd also add a vanilla bean to the coconut extract.

So you reduced the amount of chocolate to 8oz (66% less then what the kit calls for). And if you brewed it again, you'd up it to 12oz. I'm curious why you didn't just use the amount the kit recommends for both the coffee and chocolate additions?

since the choco does not come with the kit.. i used what i had available. i thought i had more bakers chocolate that that, but i didnt.
tasting the amount of chocolate present in the beer, i think 8oz was just shy of my goal. i would do 12, and to make a point, 20 oz seems WAY too much.
like i said, it was amazeballs -
with the coconut, it was like a caffeinated almond joy.

Brewed this kit this afternoon. Everything went well. I was surprised just how much chocolate 24oz is. By far the thickest chunkiest wort to date. Looked like melted chocolate ice cream with crushed Oreos. Couldn't even swallow the hydro sample because of the coffee grounds.

elatowski, it seems like you should be nearing the end of the primary, at least?
when do you plan to bottle/keg this one?

p.s. im thinking of doing a caramel coffee (machiatto) type of stout. i wonder if this grain/malt recipe would work by nixing the choco, and adding some caramel extract..

Latest posts

Back