The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I dont have a large boiling pot.. cut up a keg?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
simko
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I dont have a large boiling pot.. cut up a keg?

Ive got a couple old dented kegs kicking around, and wanted to do an extract brew (i planned on bottling)

Since i dont have a large stainless pot to boil with... can i just cut the top off an old keg and use that as a makeshift pot? I see people here making "keggles" but im not sure thats necessary for what i want....

Aaron

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Hellz yes. Also when, and I say when you make the leap to all grain, you will already have some of the necessary equipment. One of the greatest factors about all grain is the price factor. I did an all grain batch of some awesome IPA with 15 lbs of grain and 3.25 oz of hops for a grand total of $9.28.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
JohnnyHD
Recipes 

But does that $9 price include the yeast?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Jazman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHD View Post
But does that $9 price include the yeast?
I'm assuming it doesn't, but even if the hops were free, that is only $.60/lb for grain which is ultra-cheap no matter how you look at it.

I'm thinking he was missing a "1"... (ie: $19.28).

Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
chumprock
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What kind of keg are you referring to?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #6
djsethall
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Just so we are all clear, I didn't forget the cost of yeast, grain or hops. I purchased 2800 lbs of grain on my last group buy. Direct from the malter, the cost for a lb of grain averages to $0.42 ($6.30). I also bought 220lbs of hops for the group by averaging 7 dollars per lb. That is less than $.50 an ounce for hops ($1.63). The yeast was free from a starter from a previous batch. So in other words $9.28 is the high end of the estimated cost from beersmith. After some quick math, total cost was $7.93 for the batch. Go big or go home. lol

Last edited by djsethall; 04-25-2011 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Price check, Aisle brew

Old 04-25-2011, 11:29 PM   #7
TravisT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by simko View Post
Ive got a couple old dented kegs kicking around, and wanted to do an extract brew (i planned on bottling)

Since i dont have a large stainless pot to boil with... can i just cut the top off an old keg and use that as a makeshift pot? I see people here making "keggles" but im not sure thats necessary for what i want....

Aaron
If your not planning on going all grain then i would just keep an eye out for a cheap SS pot that can hold 3gallons or more. I found one at my local grocery store for like $15, its super cheap and thin but it works. The other down side of just cutting the top off a keg is heating it. You would have to buy a propane burner (dont know if a keg shell would fit on your stove?)

Old 04-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #8
jerryalan
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisT View Post
If your not planning on going all grain then i would just keep an eye out for a cheap SS pot that can hold 3gallons or more.
Or you could go ahead and use the keg as a boil pot and do extract with full boils instead of partial boils thus improving hop utilization.

Tapped - IPA
Tapped - Dunkelweizen
Tapped - Air
Bottled - Robust Coffee Porter
Fermenting - Blonde Ale
On Deck - Not sure yet
Current Project - Electric Brewing

Old 04-26-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
TravisT
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryalan View Post
Or you could go ahead and use the keg as a boil pot and do extract with full boils instead of partial boils thus improving hop utilization.
very true, and since he already has kegs just laying around that might be his best option. If it were me i would just go ahead and build a true keggle then. If he thinks he might be in this for the long haul. there's lots of great DIY threads on here.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 AM   #10
dorklord
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If you've got the keg, might as well cut off the top. At some later date, you can add whatever fittings you may need, but for now, it'll be a real big boil kettle...

That's bread yeast. Look at it sitting there, all depressed. Listless. Beer yeast doesn't look like that. It has hopes. Dreams. Something to look forward to...

Quick Reply