Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I am ready for some brews again

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2006, 10:57 PM   #1
calman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default I am ready for some brews again

after couple months break. I usually buy from LHBS with my recipe on hand. This time I'd like to try "recipe kit" from AustinHB.com where everything for 5 gals is included pre-calculated. Good price (surprisingly cheap), convenient...

Did anyone try these "kit" before? Would you recommend, or I should stick to DME with my LHBS with a printed recipe on hand?

I am talking about extract brewing, and I like ales. Thank you for any inputs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4450 Times on 3239 Posts
Likes Given: 866

I bought a "Fat Tire" kit from AHB. Great kit, good price. It had fresh ingredients. That particular kit was mostly LME, and lots of crushed steeping grains. We're drinking it now, and liked it so much I ordered another. The only thing I would caution is liquid yeast. You can buy an ice pack with it (which I did) but by the time it got to me in Michigan, the ice pack was warm and the yeast felt very warm to the touch. It did work, but I ordered dry yeast the next time. This summer, I think it's just too hot in Texas and other places on the way to expect the yeast to stay cool for the 5 day trip.
I've also used these Brewer's Best kits: Octoberfest (as an ale, not a lager), Red Ale, English Brown Ale. They were about $25 each with all ingredients included, even the dry yeast.
I would recommend either company's kits. I've been very happy with them.

Lorena

Old 08-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I've done five kits (mini-mash) from austin. I'm impressed; good prices, fast service, huge selection, OG right on the money and their clones are dead-on.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
EdWort
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 263 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I did a Kolsch AG kit from them and the instructions are step by step. Great stuff. I'm glad to be living in Austin.

Now I just need some beer to hurry up and age so I can keg em and free up some secondary fermenters.

Austin Home Brew Rocks!

Old 08-24-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Anyone ever tried a Cooper's Sparkling Ale clone kit (if such a thing exists)?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-25-2006, 12:28 PM   #6
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I love AHB's kits. I get extract with specialty grains, the various extracts come in one big plastic bucket for easy dumping, and all the grains come in a sealed grain bag ready to toss in the pot. The Belgian Wit seems to be very good, and I haven't had a cold, carbed one yet. I really want to try the Lemon Grass one they have, but I think I'll wait for spring for that one.

Old 08-28-2006, 01:11 AM   #7
Recipes 

so do their basic extract kit come with specialty grains, or do I need the mini mash?

Old 08-28-2006, 12:47 PM   #8
Wolf

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 987654321
so do their basic extract kit come with specialty grains, or do I need the mini mash?
Extract kits come with grains in a grain bag.

(Edit) Note that yeast is NOT included in the base price, you must select a yeast option.

Old 08-28-2006, 05:55 PM   #9
vcr5150
Recipes 

I just ordered from them, haven't brewed them yet - but the service is excellent. Quick delivery & nice looking product.

Previously, I have ordered from Alternative Beverage - and they too have great products. You may want to check out their monthly specials - pretty good deals on some extract brews. You can check them out on www.ebrew.com

Quick Reply