Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > I am done with "Smack Pacs"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2006, 02:05 PM   #1
Brew-boy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default I am done with "Smack Pacs"

I smacked a Wyeast 1214 Propagator around 10pm lastnight. So this morning I went to make my starter and I noticed it did not swell much. So I continued with the starter and when I opened the smack pac only 1 of the little bags inside was broke open. I do not know if it was the yeast or the nutrient side that had opened. Well I finished the starter anyways and we will see what happens. I am off to the LHBS and get some White Labs.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
cackxt
Recipes 

Have yet to have that happen, but I smack mine pretty hard then feel to make sure the "bulge" is no longer there. White Labs is quality as well.

Planning: Something
Primary 1: Zero
Primary 2: Zip
Primary 3 (1gal): Nada
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3 (1gal): First Wort Hopped Simcoe IPA
Conditioning: Nothing
Drinking: Wheateater, Chinook IPA, Kolsch

Old 08-26-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

The contents of the bags inside is the nutrient. Smacking it last night at 10 and then expecting to make a starter this morning is kind of rushing it, no? Even if both puches had broken, I would still not expect the yeast to be ready to step up. I usually give it 2-3 days head start, then do my starter.

Why not give it a chance to do it's job?

Last edited by Mikey; 08-26-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:19 PM   #4
cackxt
Recipes 

Yeah I usually try to start the smack pack 2 days minimum before pitching it. Also the first few times I used a smack pack I didnt shake very hard, now I shake the s*@t out of it and it seems to make a difference as far as propogation.

Planning: Something
Primary 1: Zero
Primary 2: Zip
Primary 3 (1gal): Nada
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: Empty
Secondary 3 (1gal): First Wort Hopped Simcoe IPA
Conditioning: Nothing
Drinking: Wheateater, Chinook IPA, Kolsch

Old 08-26-2006, 03:37 PM   #5
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

the last smack pack I used I couldnt get one of the bags to break. the pack was somewhat swollen allready and I felt like I was going to bust the whole thing open.

I said screw it, used dry yeast instead. I opened the smack pack, and the nutrient pack was deformed, Im guessing from the heat during shipment. ive pretty much come to the conclusion that I really do prefer dry yeast. Lag time is extremely short, and nottingham, us-56, and s-04 have proven themselves time and time again. so unless Im doing a specialty beer that calls for a certain strain, Im going to stick with dry. plus, i have to get all my yeast shipped, and arizona sun and yeast dont play well together.

Old 08-26-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimone

I said screw it, used dry yeast instead.
The fact that the bag had swelled tight proved that the yeast was ready. This is the way the product is supposed to work.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:08 PM   #7
mysterio
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've tended to go for the dry yeast for my standard ales. It has been fun to experiment with the different liquid ale strains, though. Hefes, wits, belgians or any lager and I'll go for the White Labs tubes.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:19 PM   #8
Desert_Sky

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey
The fact that the bag had swelled tight proved that the yeast was ready. This is the way the product is supposed to work.
it wasnt swollen tight. it was swollen just enough to where I couldnt get ahold of the pack inside. And no, I couldnt prove the yeast was viable especially since it was shipped in the middle of summer.

Last edited by Desert_Sky; 08-26-2006 at 05:24 PM.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
kornkob
Resident Crazy Uncle
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Depending ont he brand of smack pack and the freshness I've seen solid growth inside of a couple hours. Heck, I broke a Wyeast Propogation pack (25 billion cells--- intended for a starter) an hour ago and it is already almost fully swollen. I'll probably pitch it in the next hour or 2 and use the results tomorrow.

I can't imagine waiting 3 days for the thing.

And it it was an activator smack pack instead, I'd probably give it an overnight and then pitch directly with no worries. In fact, I've seen them fully expanded in 3 horus and pitched it inside of 6 hours and not seen appreciable lag.

My last batch I forgot I hadn't bought a smack pack and was short on time and pitched a packet of dry Muntons ale yeast. Got a blow off the next morning.

Short form: I like smack packs for their ease of use and rapid, obvious signs of health. Dry muntons serves as a fine back up in my experience.

Jason 'Kornkob' Robinson

I wanna move to Theory. Everything works in Theory.

Old 08-30-2006, 02:30 PM   #10
joutlaw
Recipes 

I'm not a big fan of smack packs either. I've had some take as long as 72 hours to take off after pitching.

I made a ESB on Saturday and after 3 hours of pitching some Muntons dry yeast it looked like this:

Soon to be brewing again!

Quick Reply