New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > HOw to teach?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2007, 03:46 PM   #1
tbulger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default HOw to teach?

I am going to teach my brother how to brew tomorow. He has helped me with a few all grains but he wants to start from the begining. Since i have the capacity to do full boils, should i start him out that way? I dont think he has the enthusiasm yet for doing an all grain so i am going to get him some extracts, what do you all think.

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2007, 04:03 PM   #2
fritz_monroe
Recipes 

As a newbie, I'd rather you teach me on my equipment. Will he have a brew pot that he will be able to do a full boil? If not, stick to a partial brew. Good luck.

F_M

Check out my homestead blog

Old 06-02-2007, 04:46 PM   #3
Catfish
Art by David Shrigley

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 3 Posts

Definitely teach him at his interest level and his equipment level. Maybe just get an extract kit and do it with him verbatum. Only thing to empasise is sanitation... and patience.

Old 06-02-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
Alamo_Beer

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

Do it at his place with his stuff...make him buy it if he doesn't have it. That way he'll know what to do in the future and what he needs/should have for next brews.

Good Luck!

Old 06-02-2007, 05:35 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 124 Posts

I'd do a half-boil, extract batch, so he can see a minimal equipment approach. Explain what the advantages of a full boil are, but keep the training simple.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-02-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
tbulger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanx for the replies. I brew at my dads house so we will share most of the equipment, hes just going to get a fermenter. I think ill go with the half boil. The truth is i dont know if he willll reaaly be into the whole sanitation thing. Im doing this more as an excuse for increased capacity and some new equipment!

primaries: BRown Ale
secondaries: Rye IPA
Bottled: IPA, Pigs ear brown clone, stovepipe porter, German Alt, Oktober fest ale, Smoked IPA, failed pale ale, 1st AG ESB, belgian wit, Ipa#2, , Lake wheat, fish Red ale, Smoked wheat,
KEGS: blonde Nugs , Sugar pale light, chin nook ale (gone in 1 week)

Old 06-02-2007, 11:33 PM   #7
joshpooh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you really want him to learn you should make him do all the work and do nothing but instruct and help very little. If you both brew in the same house that would be awesome because you could share all equiptment except fermentors. Really cuts down on the cost. As far as recipe I would start him out on extract partial boil. If he likes it maybe do something more difficult next time.

Quick Reply