Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > how long is too long in primary?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
LoneTreeFarms
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default how long is too long in primary?

I've been brewing wine for years, but recently started doing beer. that said i've got my second kit going now, it's been in primary for about 6 weeks. plan is to rack straight from primary to keg as soon as i free up some time.

I'm assuming that since i have not disturbed this since brew day i should be fine. like i said with wine its a set it and forget it mentality, just wanted to make sure i wasn't ruining anything letting it sit on the trub longer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

People have left their beers up to a year in primary with no issues. I've had a beer in for 6 months with no problems.

My MINIMUM time is one month. Usually I end up going around 6 weeks.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
LoneTreeFarms
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 49

thanks revvy, i figured i was safe but the mind always starts second guessing things when i'm no where near home to do anything about it. haha

Old 05-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #4
de_ronde
Recipes 

My schedule has meant that beers that I have planned to bottle or rack to secondary have stayed in the primary for a long time. Beer is much more forgiving than you think. Just clean, sanitize, prime, and bottle. In a few weeks, you will enjoy.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #5
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 23 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1736 Times on 1220 Posts
Likes Given: 3539

6 weeks is perfectly fine!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
corrales_305
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

wow...a year in primary! I don't know how that would go down, I 've read that after so much time yeast starts to break down I 'm not sure how long it takes or if temp varies the time frame in which this happens. I would think within a year. I have never tried it for that long so I would think after so much time, either you have the best tasting beer in your life or you have a horrible beer.

Old 06-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #7
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrales_305 View Post
wow...a year in primary! I don't know how that would go down, I 've read that after so much time yeast starts to break down I 'm not sure how long it takes or if temp varies the time frame in which this happens. I would think within a year. I have never tried it for that long so I would think after so much time, either you have the best tasting beer in your life or you have a horrible beer.
I believe autolysis is confined to commercial brewing for the most part where there are high pressures on the yeast cake because of the size of the fermenters.

Quick Reply