Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How long is to long for Primary Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2006, 01:13 PM   #11
edost
Statler and Waldorf rule
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

I'd bottle it too Bopper. I know homebrewer_99 kept a beer in the primary for over a month and it won an award. Like Beer Snob said, there is no hard and fast rule for brewing.

1. None
2. Wildflower Mead
Keg Conditioning:
Belgian Wit
Red Ale
Apple Cider
On Tap:
Alaskan Amber Clone
Church of Chocolate Brown Ale
Apple Cider
On Deck:
Joe's Ancient Orange Cinnamon Clove Mead - Well worth it
Maple Pumpkin Ale - Turned out really well
Peanut Butter Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2006, 06:49 PM   #12
proton
Recipes 

Ha! I'm brewing this same kit and came to this forum with a similar question. This is my first high gravity brew, and also the first time I've really paid attention to the specific gravity. Mine has been in the primary for about 2.5 weeks, and is sitting at 1.03, bubbling rarely, krausen dropped long ago. Can I expect the gravity to fall further during secondary? What kind of final gravity should I expect from this kit? My guess is that it's time to rack, but I'm wondering if it's premature, given the gravity.

Thanks.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #13
WarStreetBrewer
Recipes 

OK, about adding more yeast to the bottling bucket.. I'm confused.

Isn't there already a ton of yeast in the fermenter? After all the food's gone, does the yeast die or does it just go dormant?

My batch has been in the primary for only 13 days (I thought this was long until I read this thread). I've just been too busy to do anything with it.

Is there ever an instance where yeast would be added on the transfer to the secondary?

If I have no indicators on the primary other than airlock bubbling, what is the worry sign? No bubbles for a couple days? After the transfer to the secondary, should I expect it to start up again?

Old 08-29-2006, 04:14 PM   #14
Mikey
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarStreetBrewer
OK, about adding more yeast to the bottling bucket.. I'm confused.

Isn't there already a ton of yeast in the fermenter? After all the food's gone, does the yeast die or does it just go dormant?
I have no idea why people recommend this so often. I've been brewing for over 10 years and have never had to do this- even on lagers that sat in secondary at 34 degrees for months.

Your yeast sitting dormant at the bottom of the carboy is always fresher and in better shape than what's sitting dessicated in a little pouch on a LBHS shelf!

Quick Reply