Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How long is to long for Primary Fermentation?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-18-2006, 03:58 PM   #1
Jwedel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How long is to long for Primary Fermentation?

I brewed this Northern Brewer kit on 7/8/06. The OG was 1.081. Now ten days later, I still have about 1/8"-1/4" Krausen on top of the beer and a bubble every three seconds in the airlock. Should I go ahead and rack it to secondary now to get it off the yeast cake or wait a day or two?

Double IPA Extract Kit

O.G: 1090 / Ready: 3 months

Kit Inventory

Specialty Grains: 0.75 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
0.25 lbs. Briess Caramel 120

Fermentables: 12 lbs. Pale Malt Syrup

Boil Additions

* 1 oz. Yakima Magnum (60 min)
* 1 oz. Liberty (30 min)
* 1 oz. Yakima Magnum (10 min)
* 2 oz. Northern Brewer (Leaf) (0 min)

Special Ingredients: 1 oz. Cascade Hops (dry hop)

Yeast: Wyeast #1332 Northwest Ale Yeast. One of the classic ale strains from the Northwest U.S. Breweries. Produces a malty and mildly fruity ale with good depth and complexity. Flocculation: high. Apparent attenuation: 67-71%. Optimum temperature: 65-75.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-18-2006, 04:23 PM   #2
edost
Statler and Waldorf rule
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Personally I would wait for the krausen to drop on its own and then I would rack to the secondary.

1. None
2. Wildflower Mead
Keg Conditioning:
Belgian Wit
Red Ale
Apple Cider
On Tap:
Alaskan Amber Clone
Church of Chocolate Brown Ale
Apple Cider
On Deck:
Joe's Ancient Orange Cinnamon Clove Mead - Well worth it
Maple Pumpkin Ale - Turned out really well
Peanut Butter Porter

Old 07-18-2006, 04:27 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 102

If it's stuill bubbling that frequently, leave it be. The only issue with leaving it on the cake too long is the potential for off flavors, but from all accounts that isn't an issue for at least three or four weeks. Let it keep working.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:12 AM   #4
digdan

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

They say no longer than 14 days. And it matters on the yeast. Most dry yeast you want to way for almost a week. Besides that a majority of yeast is only 3 to 4 days

Old 07-19-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

As long as the fermentation is active, you won't have a problem. A SG of 1.081 means a long ferment, as the yeast will slow with the rising ABV. Don't be surprised if it runs another week.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 07-31-2006, 10:07 AM   #6
joker_x
Recipes 

I wouldn't rack until the krausen falls. Higher gravity beers, like Russian Imperial Stouts or Barleywines tend to need more time in the primary than your standard ales. If you rack while the krausen is still there, you risk mixing the krausen into your beer which would cause off flavours in your finished product.

Cheers!
-Rick

Primary: Honey Amber Ale
Secondary #1: Octane IPA
Secondary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Bottled/Drinking: American Amber Ale

Old 08-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #7
Blaine
Recipes 

I have recently had a similar problem due to it being winter in Australia currently. My pilszner went 17 days in primary and then took another 20 days to carbonate but I think this would have to be the best brew I have done. Dont sweat it. It will be fine give it time.

Cheers to the beers
Boof

Primary: Dry

Seconary: N/A

Conditioning: Dry
Conditioning: Dry

Now drinking: Hop Head Golden Saaz Pilsner

Next up: My own Pilzsner from scratch

Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
Bopper
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Speaking of a long time...I've been very busy lately...work is nuts and I'm in the process of moving. I've gone from a batch every other week to none in 2 months. The last batch I made is still in the primary. It's been 2 months in there. Think I'm going to wind up dumping it but I'll give it a taste before I do that. The funny thing is, i took off the stopper to give it a smell (I was expecting the signature rubber smell of autolysis) and it smelled good. How it tastes on another hand will be another story. BTW, it is a pale ale. Anyone have any experiences like this? Did you keep it or toss?

Old 08-11-2006, 01:48 AM   #9
Mykel Obvious
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bopper359
Speaking of a long time...I've been very busy lately...work is nuts and I'm in the process of moving. I've gone from a batch every other week to none in 2 months. The last batch I made is still in the primary. It's been 2 months in there. Think I'm going to wind up dumping it but I'll give it a taste before I do that. The funny thing is, i took off the stopper to give it a smell (I was expecting the signature rubber smell of autolysis) and it smelled good. How it tastes on another hand will be another story. BTW, it is a pale ale. Anyone have any experiences like this? Did you keep it or toss?
Bopper,
Unless it tastes super bad, I'd vote for bottling it... even if it doesn't taste the best as it sits, it is almost always worth the trouble to bottle... there are important flavors missing that will only come to life with carbonation... do yourself a favor and bottle, you'd be surprised at how many "so-so" beer will even age out to be better beers after a few months in bottles... even if it never turns out "good" at least you will know... make sure to add some more yeast in your bottling bucket so you'll be able to get it carbonated...

Let us know what you do,

later,
mikey

"I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer."
Brendan Behan

Old 08-11-2006, 03:36 AM   #10
Beer Snob

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Remember, a long fermentation is all a matter of reference. Like David said it really depends on a couple of factors. Gravity is certainly one and yours has a pretty high gravity. In short if its still fermenting, then it's fermenting. Although there is a lot of people who give the 1,2,3 standard for instance, brewing has no real hard and fast rule.

"Don't worry, have a homebrew." ,"The "Bible"

Cherries in the wheat
Michael's Wheat

Quick Reply