New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How to lager a Kolsch ale ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
ChuckCollins
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 104

Default How to lager a Kolsch ale ?

How to lager a Kolsch ale,I used WLP 029 8 days now in primary at 65 ,
and would like to lager it for a few weeks what is the best ways to that
a have a temp controller, would like any advice on best way to finish it up.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
Nateo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

I would wait until you hit your FG, then lager around 35-40 for a month. Make sure you hit your FG before you lager, though, otherwise it will take a very long time to finish up. Also, IMO 65 is too warm for a Koelsch, but ymmv, etc. I would've fermented at 58-60.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 09-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
ChuckCollins
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 104

From WLP site
optimum Fermentation Temperature: 65-69°F
Does not ferment well less than 62°F, unless during active fermentation.
Plus I think it was little cooler then that 62-65 °F
Thank for the advice

Old 09-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #4
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Chris White also recommends to ferment most ale strains in the high 60's to 70's, which I also disagree with for homebrewers. I think his advice is more for big brewers who use cylindroconicals which inhibit ester formation. For homebrewers, I think low 60's is a good range for most ales, and I brew (and enjoy) a lot estery Belgian beers.

For the German ale strains I find the high 50's to give me the more "clean" flavor profile you're looking for in those types of beers. Koelsch yeast over 65* tastes too "winey" and fruity to me.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 09-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Goose5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have a kolsch in a keg right now. I kegged it and put it in the frig topping it off with CO2 once a day. Then pressurized to 12 for 4 days. I had one mug two weeks after kegging. Not bad so far. CO2 levels are the best I've ever had in the bottle. I didn't put it in the frig to lager. I figured a cold solution would take CO2 better. Glad to learn I did the right thing for the wrong reason.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #6
decaf111
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I brewed a Pilsner Urquell clone using a kolsch yeast and kept it in primary for 3.5 weeks then racked it onto isinglass. It's in the fridge right now cooling down to mid 30s but the taste after 3.5 weeks in the mid to high 50s during primary is fantastic. So crisp and clean. I think high 50s is the way to go with Kolsch.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #7
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Most kolsh yeasts are lager yeasts. But not WLP029. It's a German ale/kolsh yeast. An ale yeast that gives a clean,lager-like flavor according the manufacturer's description given to midwest. I bought 2 vials. The first beer is past initial fermentation now. It started at 64F & got through initial fermentation at 68F. The yeasts optimal range on midwest was also said to be 65-69F. Nailed it pretty good.

Old 02-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Qhrumphf
Stay Rude, Stay SHARP
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1131 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by unionrdr View Post
Most kolsh yeasts are lager yeasts. But not WLP029. It's a German ale/kolsh yeast. An ale yeast that gives a clean,lager-like flavor according the manufacturer's description given to midwest. I bought 2 vials. The first beer is past initial fermentation now. It started at 64F & got through initial fermentation at 68F. The yeasts optimal range on midwest was also said to be 65-69F. Nailed it pretty good.
I'm pretty sure most Kolsch strains are ale strains, no? Hence why it's a "hybrid" beer?

Last time I used WLP029 I fermented around 60 and it came out great.

Up Next: Pale Mild, Coniston Bluebird Bitter clone v1.0
Primary: ESB, Ordinary Bitter, Mild
Secondary: Sour Stout
Bottled: Düsseldorf Altbier, Sticke Altbier, Doppelsticke Altbier, Weizenbock, Berliner Weisse, Spruce Brown Ale, Arrogant Bastard Clone
Bottle "cellar": Brett B. Tripel, Imperial Red, Tripel, Quadrupel, Brett C. Oaked English Barleywine, Lamebic

Old 02-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #9
solbes
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Chuck,

The lagering phase is not that picky for a Kolsch. If you can find a fridge to put it in, just try to get below 40F. 32-35F will be best for a Kolsch, but not necessary. If you've reached terminal gravity, I would start the chilling now.

Give it 3-4 weeks chilled. Kolsch yeast is a stuborn flocc'er, so you may have to add properly hydrated and warmed (not boiled) gelatin about halfway through the lagering. Then it will drop pretty well over the next 1-2 weeks. I've used Isinglass too with good results, just a hair more expensive.

I use WY2565, which ferments down in the mid to upper 50's. But your range sounds spot on for the warmer WLP029. I think you did a great ferment. And as I understood it, they are both hybrid ale yeasts.

Primary #1:Dunkel #2:Empty
Secondary #1
: Peach Rhubarb Wine #2: Empty #3: Empty #4: Sparkling Elderflower Wine
Kegged: Piker Liker Porter, Umlaut my Kölsch V
Bottles
: Big 50 Barleywine, Framboise Lambic, Red Rye IPA, Dark Belgian Strong, Belgian Golden Strong, Kicked by a Moose Scotch Ale, Apfelwein, Russian Imperial Stout, Carmelite Tripel, Rhubarb Wine, Barolo Wine
On Deck: Irish Red, Surly Bender clone, Spruced Warmer, CDA

Old 02-15-2013, 08:00 PM   #10
unionrdr
Gotta home brew jones
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1662 Times on 1467 Posts
Likes Given: 1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhrumphf View Post
I'm pretty sure most Kolsch strains are ale strains, no? Hence why it's a "hybrid" beer?

Last time I used WLP029 I fermented around 60 and it came out great.
Well,the only other kolsh yeast midwest listed goes from 55F-70F. But less or no fruity esters at lower temps. Funny how the WLP029 is listed under both ale & lager liquid yeasts. I wasn't sure they were all hybrids,since only one is listed under both headings. But only 029 is listed to like the temps I can give it at this point.
And since it finished initial fermentation yesterday,I thought the rest of the time till it finishes & clears would be like a diacityl rest? I let the temp go up a bit after initial fermentation died down. Never did a kolsh before. This is a hybrid beer,but not a kolsh,although it's supposed to be light. I've been trying to produce a light lager-like ale,& this yeast was the best choice at this time.

Quick Reply