How do I make a smoked porter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEcted1

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Long time no see. Haven't been able to homebrew in awhile. Anyways, I was wondering how I would make a smoked porter using extracts. Mainly how do I get that smoked flavor?

Also, I had an idea... Do you think it would be good if I also oak aged it? So it would be a smoked oak-aged porter. Sounds good to me, but I don't know how that would actually turn out. Which brings my next question... how do you oak age? Do you just throw some oak chips in the secondary?

Thanks!

Steeping a little (1-2 oz) of peat smoked malt would probably do the trick. If you don't want to use steeped grains, there are smoke extracts available.

Oak chips are steamed to sanitize then put in the clearing tank.

How many oak chips would I use to give it a subtle oak flavor. Don't want it overpowering.

Thanks for the reply

Most people use 8 oz. of chips. Give them a week, if you want more oak put them back in.

I do not know how of the smoked taste you want. I have a extract recipe w/ grains that used 1 lb a Smoked Bamberg Malt.

Back