The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How Do I Make an Extract Flanders Red/Sour Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 03:02 PM   #41
cmdrico7812
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Extract Flanders Red Update:

Upon the advise of numerous posters in this thread and others (thanks!), I racked this batch to my secondary fermenter last night. I tasted it while doing so and the flavor is spot on for a Flanders Red. Tasted a bit like Rodenbach mixed with Jolly Pumpkin's Rouge (without the sour bite of course since it's only been 1 month). The color is also spot on. Now I'll be watching for pellicle and leaving it along for a year. Guess I'll just have to get another 5 gallon secondary so I can keep up my brewing pace.

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #42
Surye
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

When moving it to secondary, if you move the oak cubes/chips, shouldn't they carry a good amount of yeast and bugs you want over if you don't attempt to sanatize them? Would that help the long term souring?

Old 08-12-2009, 07:15 PM   #43
cmdrico7812
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, I need some help with this one again.

My Flanders has been sitting in the basement for about 6 months now. There has been some bacterial action happening as I can see some evidence on the surface of the beer (I pitched the Wyeast Lambic Blend). Unfortunately, I didn't really think ahead and the beer is in a 5 gallon fermenter with hardly any head space and a nice pelicile has failed to form (I'm guessing because there is very little surface area for it to work with and less oxygen exposure). Since I want this to end up like Rodenbach Grand Cru, I'm thinking about transferring it to a 6.5 gallon carboy and pitching the Roeselare blend of bugs and yeast to increase the sourness.

Can anyone advise me if this is a good move or should I just wait it out the way things are? Thanks!

Beer...it's awesome.

Zwei Brüder Brauerei

Planning: Nutcastle Brown, Founder's Breakfast Stout
Primary: Apfelwein w/Cherry
Secondary: Flanders Red, ESB2, ESB3, Hobgoblin PM
Bottle: Black Beauty Honey Rye, Holiday Chestnut Ale, Grumpy Gnome IPA, Sumatran Espresso Stout, Apfelwein, All Jacked Up, Patriot's Amber, ESB1, Belgian Dubbel.

Quick Reply