Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How do I accomplish this... SWMBO insists on it... Help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2008, 05:01 PM   #1
MediaMikes
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default How do I accomplish this... SWMBO insists on it... Help

I just ordered an extract cream ale that will arive this week and get brewed this weekend. My girlfriend asked me if I could induce orange into it. I told her that I know it is possible to add fruit to a beer during the brewing process, but wasn't sure how to do it (this is my first time brewing). Does anybody here know how I would be able to get an orange flavor into my beer so that I can make her happy? I found where you can do rasberries and stuff like that but not oranges. what is the best way to do it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The safest bet is to get an orange extract flavouring from your LHBS. Once your beer is into the bottling bucket, you add it slowly until you're happy with the flavour.

For your first batch however I might still think about doing it as per the kit directions. You will have enough to worry about without over-complicating things.

Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

http://www.williamjamestrading.com/showProducts.aspx?search=orange

This type of thing is available in most Hombrew stores. Costs about $2.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 02-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
jester22151
Recipes 

I did it a little different with a weizen I just didi. I took and orange and harvested all of the orange zest I could get off of it, and put into the water you put in your primary before I added the wort and mixed it up. The water starts to turn orange really quickly, then I let it ferment all the way out in the primary and it was fantastic.

At least this way it only costs you an orange instead of going to the brew store and buying the extract.

going into the brew store is like taking a woman to linen's and things. You ain't gettin out of there for less than $150. especially if you are new.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
Beerthoven

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try adding 1/2 ounce of sweet organge peel to the boil.

I haven't done this yet, but I'm going to soon for a planned Christmas ale.

Primary/Secondary: #109 Rye, #110 APA

Kegged: #106 American Wheat, #107 IPA, #108 Nut Brown

Planned: Red IPA, American Brown

Old 02-18-2008, 05:10 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

+1 on what brad said...

Tell swmbo that you love her too much to inflect a bad beer on her, and you want to work on your brewing process on a straghtforward kit recip, before embarking on trying something on your own...

Also...There are plenty of threads on the topic of working with fruit...Just use the search forum featur...I'm pretty sure there are at least 2 currently active in the last couple of days...One of them is about using citrus.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-18-2008, 05:18 PM   #7
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 14

i'd go with the orange zest. use a cheese shredder to scrape off the orange part of the peel. don't get down to the white because it will be bitter. you could then put it into a little pot with some pre-boiled water and steep it at 160 for 5-10 minutes to pasteurize (orange peel is pretty acidic and probably would not host bacteria but steeping will reduce that risk - boiling with cast out too much aroma). then throw the orange zest and water into the primary with your cooled wort.

i'd be afraid that any mistake with the extract would end up overpowering your brew with orange flavor. with the zest from a few oranges you should get a nice light orange flavor.

Last edited by tagz; 02-18-2008 at 05:21 PM.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM   #8
MediaMikes
Recipes 

I appologize for double posting, I did search or a little bit but didn't find anything. Guess I need to be a little more persistent.

Thanks everyone for the extremely quick answers. I may try the orange zest approach, I don't think that would be too difficult. I think I may do a heffe next as we both love those types of beers and I may infuse it with lemon.

Then, I will brew a stout for me that is strictly by the book. She won't drink the dark beers so I can leave it alone and not experiment.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:06 PM   #9
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Brew the kit "normally".

Serve hers with a slice of orange. She can adjust the amount of orange flavor on her own, and you get a beer you'll still like and a baseline for your other brews.

Orange-infused cream ale sounds pretty gross to me, and I wouldn't chance making 5 gallons of it...especially on my first batch.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:08 PM   #10
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike N Brew
Brew the kit "normally".

Serve hers with a slice of orange. She can adjust the amount of orange flavor on her own, and you get a beer you'll still like and a baseline for your other brews.
You cant go wrong with that advice. Tell her she needs to help you with research. This will ensure at least 2 batches.
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Quick Reply