New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > How "big" is 50 lb. of extract?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
corncob
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How "big" is 50 lb. of extract?

I am going to by a 50 lb bag next month--but how big of a container do I need to store it? Anyone know the density of dry malt extract?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2009, 05:14 AM   #2
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

it is the same size as a 50# flour... it is the size of big dog food bag (45#).....
I don't really find another container to store it because I don't want to pour it out.
You can find anything that is big enough to fit it in. aka.. big trash can.
For me, I just cut the top and use what I need and fold/roll the sack and leave it in a dry place... the key is dry.... moisture will make your DME very very sticky...

Happy Brewing

Old 05-07-2009, 05:17 AM   #3
Gildog
Recipes 

you could break the bag down into 50 1# zip top bags, easier to portion, store and keep dry

"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut."
Ernest Hemmingway.

"He was a wise man who invented beer."
Plato.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joos View Post
Beer fairies help me out all the time.They sprinkle the magic stay awake till you pitch the yeast dust,and everything works out great.It's those damn THC gnomes that say NO! You must pass out and F up your beer!

Old 05-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
KYB
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I would think buckets would be ideal.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 AM   #5
ruffdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

3 pounds is about 1 litre for liquid malt extract, not sure about dry

Last edited by ruffdeezy; 05-07-2009 at 08:52 AM.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:33 PM   #6
2nd Street Brewery

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I was buying the bulk DME it came double bagged in thick poly, I just left it in the box it was shipped in and resealed the bags with heavy rubber bands, The box itself is about 2 foot on the sides.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, then to speak and remove all doubt.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #7
llazy_llama
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODaniel View Post
I would think buckets would be ideal.
Several 5 gallon buckets should do the trick. You could pick up the "Homer" buckets from Home Depot or something very similar from another home improvement store.

Vittle Vaults tend to be the perfect grain/DME containers, but they are rather expensive.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #8
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

When I picked mine up, it was in a plastic lined, paper sack - same size/shape as a 50 lb grain sack. I repackaged it into 10 1 gallon zip top bags. 5 lbs per bag so it's pretty convenient as I typically use 5 lbs per 5 gallon batch. Plus I ended up with an extra half pound or so that I keep in the kitchen for baking and making malts.

And Amazon has the upright, 40 lb Vittles Vault II for $24.99. Cheaper than anywhere else I've seen (if you buy something else and get the free shipping) and they'd work really well for DME as they have an airtight seal. It says it's for 40 lbs of dog food, but DME will "pack" better than dog food so one should be enough for a whole sack.

Last edited by yermej; 05-07-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
kunstler
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Or you could just have the DME delievered right around the same time you plan on brewing (same week or something) use what you will and transfer the rest to the 40LB Vittles Vault II that way to ensure it fits.

Mind me asking how much a 50# bag of Malt extract goes for these days? and am I wrong for thinking it would last longer in an airtight (relativly moisture free zone) than whole grain...anyone know?

Old 05-07-2009, 04:51 PM   #10
yermej
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstler View Post
Or you could just have the DME delievered right around the same time you plan on brewing (same week or something) use what you will and transfer the rest to the 40LB Vittles Vault II that way to ensure it fits.
Or just put the extra in a bag or something. I'm pretty sure it would fit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunstler View Post
Mind me asking how much a 50# bag of Malt extract goes for these days? and am I wrong for thinking it would last longer in an airtight (relativly moisture free zone) than whole grain...anyone know?
I paid about $112 (shipping included) for a bag I picked up a couple weeks ago. That was on a group buy though so I can't just show up anytime and get a bag for that price - they collect orders until they've filled a pallet or two and then place the order and let us know when it's ready to be picked up. As a comparison, a 50 lb sack of American 2-row in that same order would have been about $29 total.

As for storage, I'm not sure. I'd think that, kept dry, either DME or whole grain should last a long time, but I don't know which would last longer. I try to brew enough so that I don't have to find out (a 50 lb sack of DME is only about 10 batches).

Quick Reply