How "big" is 50 lb. of extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corncob

Reaction score
I am going to by a 50 lb bag next month--but how big of a container do I need to store it? Anyone know the density of dry malt extract?

it is the same size as a 50# flour... it is the size of big dog food bag (45#).....
I don't really find another container to store it because I don't want to pour it out.
You can find anything that is big enough to fit it in. aka.. big trash can.
For me, I just cut the top and use what I need and fold/roll the sack and leave it in a dry place... the key is dry.... moisture will make your DME very very sticky...

you could break the bag down into 50 1# zip top bags, easier to portion, store and keep dry

When I was buying the bulk DME it came double bagged in thick poly, I just left it in the box it was shipped in and resealed the bags with heavy rubber bands, The box itself is about 2 foot on the sides.

I would think buckets would be ideal.

Several 5 gallon buckets should do the trick. You could pick up the "Homer" buckets from Home Depot or something very similar from another home improvement store.

Vittle Vaults tend to be the perfect grain/DME containers, but they are rather expensive.

efef9cace41356fdb19076b60e268f12.jpg

When I picked mine up, it was in a plastic lined, paper sack - same size/shape as a 50 lb grain sack. I repackaged it into 10 1 gallon zip top bags. 5 lbs per bag so it's pretty convenient as I typically use 5 lbs per 5 gallon batch. Plus I ended up with an extra half pound or so that I keep in the kitchen for baking and making malts.

And Amazon has the upright, 40 lb Vittles Vault II for $24.99. Cheaper than anywhere else I've seen (if you buy something else and get the free shipping) and they'd work really well for DME as they have an airtight seal. It says it's for 40 lbs of dog food, but DME will "pack" better than dog food so one should be enough for a whole sack.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or you could just have the DME delievered right around the same time you plan on brewing (same week or something) use what you will and transfer the rest to the 40LB Vittles Vault II that way to ensure it fits.

Mind me asking how much a 50# bag of Malt extract goes for these days? and am I wrong for thinking it would last longer in an airtight (relativly moisture free zone) than whole grain...anyone know?

Or you could just have the DME delievered right around the same time you plan on brewing (same week or something) use what you will and transfer the rest to the 40LB Vittles Vault II that way to ensure it fits.

Or just put the extra in a bag or something. I'm pretty sure it would fit though.

Mind me asking how much a 50# bag of Malt extract goes for these days? and am I wrong for thinking it would last longer in an airtight (relativly moisture free zone) than whole grain...anyone know?

I paid about $112 (shipping included) for a bag I picked up a couple weeks ago. That was on a group buy though so I can't just show up anytime and get a bag for that price - they collect orders until they've filled a pallet or two and then place the order and let us know when it's ready to be picked up. As a comparison, a 50 lb sack of American 2-row in that same order would have been about $29 total.

As for storage, I'm not sure. I'd think that, kept dry, either DME or whole grain should last a long time, but I don't know which would last longer. I try to brew enough so that I don't have to find out (a 50 lb sack of DME is only about 10 batches).

I got a price of $98 + about $30 shipping from North Country Malt. That's for Briess light DME.

I repackaged it into 10 1 gallon zip top bags. 5 lbs per bag so it's pretty convenient as I typically use 5 lbs per 5 gallon batch. Plus I ended up with an extra half pound or so that I keep in the kitchen for baking and making malts.

Sounds like about 5 lb/gallon--10 gallons of "storage" required for a 50-lb sack. Thanks.

I like the look of the Vittle Vault, but I am going to drop buy the restaurant supply first.

I just purchased this myself and was very pleased. I found that 5 lb did not really fit into a 1 gallon ziplock bag. I was able to do 4 lb and 3 lb bags, and since I use 7 lb per batch that's perfect for me. I was able to get 7 "batches" bagged, with extra malt for priming/starters/whatever. It's great (around $2 per pound, hard to beat).

It is about the size of a big bag of dog food.

When I was buying the bulk DME it came double bagged in thick poly, I just left it in the box it was shipped in and resealed the bags with heavy rubber bands, The box itself is about 2 foot on the sides.

+1 This

Bulk DME is a powdery sticky mess and you'll make a big mess transferring it. Leave it bagged in the shipping box. I do this and only bother to scoop out what I need on brew day.

If you think might have critter problems in your storage area, put the big bags in a 5 gallon Homer bucket.

Back