wormraper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Hot ASS Saison

I"m going for my first saison here... using this recipe by a fellow tucsonan

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f37/belg...0/#post3183751

only adjusting the recipe to exclude the Hallertau hops being that I forgot them when I left the LHBS

using 3724 as the yeast and leaving it in an 80 degree ambient temp house (swamp cooling in summer may suck for living in but it seems to be great for saison's).

my question is with it being this warm (gonna leave it near a sliding glass door to boost the temps a bit) would I be better off with the 3724 or the 3711 yeast???

also being that I've never added sugars to the brew before. when do I add in the 2lb's of table sugar? after boil, during boil??

last but not least. using table sugar instead of corn sugar so if my calculations are correct I should use 6.75 ounces of table sugar instead of 7 ounces of corn sugar for priming. Am I correct in my conversion?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #2
riss_rizzo
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Can't help with yeast question, I've never used those strains, sorry. But pounds of sugar should be added during the boil or at flame-out while the water is still hot enough to dissolve them. And as for priming sugars, I just stick with 3/4Cup unless you want more carbonation.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

while i'm not familiar with the "ass saison" style, I can say that 3724 ferments slowly -- at least 4 weeks in the primary -- whereas 3711 will finish off in about half that time. the tradeoff is that you don't get as many esters with 3711. if you are patient, go with 3724. put in the sugar late, the goal is to sterilize it in the wort, but you don't want it to caramelize. i add it between 5 minutes and 0 minutes.

Old 06-28-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed a recipe twice, once using the Belgian strain and once using the French strain. I preferred the French strain. Could be I preferred less esters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Riffraff3055
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used 3711 for my saison twice with great results each time. Highly recommend the French saison yeast. No stuck ferment and sat at 80 degrees in my fermentation chamber for ten days then ambient (70) for three more weeks in primary only. It is the clearest beer I have made to date. Great little spicy ester profile matches the orange peel in added to the boil nicely.

You might get more esters with the Belgian saison but risk a stuck fermentation (apparently).

Old 06-28-2012, 02:36 PM   #6
wormraper
Recipes 

kewl, I'll use the standard sugar then. as for 3724 or 3711.... my LHBS only carries White Labs I found out and white labs doesnt' make a variation of 3711 (only 3724 which is WLP565). so I had to go with the Belgian strain. figured since I live in tucson I'll keep it inside at 80 degree average ambient temps and put it outside at night (mid to low 80's right now at night and pray that I don't get a stuck fermentation. Making a starter right now in a 2 liter jar (1 liter liquid with the vial of yeast) and will run that 24 hours so hopefully I'll have enough yeast to avoid a stuck one.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #7
slarkin712
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

If your ambient temp is 80F that might be high enough to ferment with the Belgian strain. I wouldn't put it outside. I think that the temperature fluctuations may cause the yeast to stall. Keep it inside and just wrap it in a blanket or something to insulate it. That way the heat from fermentation may keep the temp above 80F.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 486 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by riss_rizzo View Post
Can't help with yeast question, I've never used those strains, sorry. But pounds of sugar should be added during the boil or at flame-out while the water is still hot enough to dissolve them. And as for priming sugars, I just stick with 3/4Cup unless you want more carbonation.
many people swear by adding sugar just at, or shortly after, the peak of fermentation (typically 2-4 days after pitching). the idea is to get the yeast to munch on the more complex maltose sugars first, then give them a "dessert" of easily digestible sucrose. folks who do this claim it can increase attenuation. makes sense to me, but i haven't compared it side-to-side.

and "stick with 3/4Cup" isn't particularly good advice. you should weigh your sugar. as you may have noticed all priming calculators give you a result in weight, not volume.

Drinking: a farmhouse with ECY08 & brett blend
Fermenting: wet-hopped harvest ale x 2, sour cherry mead, imperial chocolate stout and its not-so-small second runnings beer
Aging: oud bruin & a few other sours, acerglyn, a BDSA
Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 06-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #9
kmos
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I've used both 565 and 3711 -- like others have said, you'll get way more esters and character out of the 565. It is really a beautiful yeast, as long as you have the time and patience for it. I would recommend pitching low, letting it free rise, and then boosting/holding it in the high 70s/low 80s.

Primary: Saison; German Black Ale;
Secondary: n/a
In the Barrel: English Mild;
Bottled/Kegged: Oud Bruin (ECY23); English Mild;
Up Next: Ordinary Bitter;
Ace_Club Likes This 
Old 06-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmos View Post
I've used both 565 and 3711 -- like others have said, you'll get way more esters and character out of the 565. It is really a beautiful yeast, as long as you have the time and patience for it. I would recommend pitching low, letting it free rise, and then boosting/holding it in the high 70s/low 80s.
kewl, patience i can do (hopefully ). just out of curiosity what does "free rise" mean?

Quick Reply