Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hops for a Wheat Beer?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2013, 02:13 AM   #1
Ang
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hops for a Wheat Beer?

I'm going to make a wheat beer tomorrow (Sunday). It's been about 8 years since I brewed, and I can't find, or remember, my recipe, but I very specifically remember the 3 pounds of honey, Weihenstephan yeast, and Hallertaur hops. I'm going to go with this:

Steep:
0.5 pounds flaked oats
0.5 pounds flaked wheat

Boil:
3.3 pounds wheat LME
2 pounds Bavarian wheat DME
3 pounds honey

Hops:
1 ounce Hallertau for bittering (60 min)

Yeast: White Labs 300, Hefeweizen (my store didn't have the Weihenstephan, but it will next time - I very much prefer Weihenstephan - love that banana/clove flavor)

Questions: Should I add any flavoring hops at 15 minutes? Should I use more than 1 ounce of Hallertau for bittering? Would you use Tettnang anywhere in here? This recipe looks too simple (just 1 ounce?), as if something's missing, but maybe I'm just used to my Pale Ale which calls for a total of 7.5 ounces of hops from start to bottle. I make that one about 80% of the time.

Some background...I measure nothing in terms of gravity or any other kind of readings, so I won't understand responses that deal with doing something at a particular gravity, or calculating IBUs, etc. Sorry, but that's just the way I do it; it's how I learned from the beginning, right or wrong. I just wing it, watch it, and fly by the seat of my pants - in all my years of brewing, I've never had a bad beer or an infection, and I can't count the number of bottles I've put up, thousands. While my practice is unconventional, my Pale Ale did win a first place in the 2003 Atlanta Brewmaster's Open. So, I must be doing it right.

Thanks for the help on this hop question.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #2
hercher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I agree that you are little light on hops. I'd scatter another ounce in there -- maybe something like a half ounce for 30 minutes, and another half ounce for 10-15 minutes. However, I'd use an ounce (maybe a little less) of Perle to bitter, and use your Hallertau at 30 & 15.

Primary: Amber Ale. :(
Seconary: Don't use one, generally
Kegged: Stein beer
Planned: Saison, pale ale, brown ale

"For a quart of ale is a dish for a king." - Shakespeare

Old 01-20-2013, 02:41 PM   #3
logan3825
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Seems like way to much honey. One hop addition at 60m seems about right for a Hefe.

Quick Reply