Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > hop utilization vs adding LME late

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2011, 11:42 PM   #21
SailorTodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakemo View Post
I add most of my LME at the end of boil. I thought I read somewhere that DME needs to be boiled.... any merit to this claim?
DME goes through a hot break if you boil it, where it breaks down the complex proteins into more basic amino acids, among other chemical processes I can't speak intelligibly about. Among other things, this gives you a clearer finished product. I've also read oxidation is a greater risk if you don't let DME go through a hot break. Not to say boiling the DME is necessary, but it is recommended in all literature I've read.

With the hot break, be vigilant not to let it become too violent and boil over. A boil over during the hot break can be prevented by removing the wort from heat repeatedly until foaming subsides, keeping the temperature just below boiling until the wort changes from a cloudy color to a dark, clearer color, and/or stirring the foam back into the wort.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #22
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

I noticed when stirring DME into boiling water that no grains were steeped in,the hot break isn't near as violent. That is to say,it doesn't foam up near as much. But my beer is a bit clearer,faster at this point. It'll be three weeks ago tomorrow that I pitched the yeast in it.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:48 PM   #23
njrockpd
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Because of the rate of the hops oils utilization. A 30 minute boil isn't really enough time to get the oils fully isomerized. You'll get far less IBUs out of a 30 minute boil than a 60 minute boil.

It's not necessary to add the LME at the start of the boil, and I would recommend adding the bulk of it at the end of the boil.
I have three high AA hops that I wanted to use in my next batch and I was trying to figure out a way to do it without having crazy high IBUs.

I have 1 oz of Sorrachi (11%), Columbus (15%), and Simcoe (12%) and I wanted my hop schedule to look something like this:

1 oz. Columbus (@ 60min)
1 oz. Simcoe (@ 30min)
1 oz. Sorrachi (@ 5min)

... but it comes out to be about 123 IBUs.

Someone suggested I do

.5 oz. Columbus (@ 30min)
.5 oz. Columbus (@ 25min)
.5 oz. Simcoe (@ 15min)
.5 oz. Simcoe (@ 10min)
1 oz. Sorrachi (@ 5min)

It comes out to 65 IBUs or so. I guess my real question is, if you boil high Alpha Acid hops for a shorter period of time to get lower IBUs is there a effect on the beer because the oils don't have enough time to really retain the bitterness or is it OK to do it the way my peer suggested?

Old 07-08-2011, 02:47 PM   #24
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2301 Times on 2002 Posts
Likes Given: 1717

Things have changed since I 1st posted in this thread. I started using half of the 3lb bag of DME (1.5lb) when the water in the BK boils. Then do my hop additions. But I alter that depending on the style I'm brewing.
When doing an average gravity ale with my "normal" 2oz of 2 different hops,I do 1oz @ 20,.5oz of 2nd hop @ 10,remaining .5oz @ flame out for 10mins.
In the IPA I have fermenting now,I did 1.5oz of Columbus @ 25,count down 8mins,30 seconds. Then add 1.5oz of Nugget,& count down 8:30 again. Then added 1.5oz of Cascade for remaining time til flame out.
I then added the remaining DME & cooper's OS Draught can (LME) & stir well to incorporate. The combo of Munton's plain light DME & the OS draught give that DFH-ish malt profile. Cover & steep for 15 mins or so.
I saved .5oz of each for dry hopping.
I thought that since most bittering is from 60-45 minutes,that less bittering & more flavor/aroma will be had at 25 minutes on down. To my current understanding/experience. That & knowledge gained here on HBT.

Quick Reply