New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Honey instead of sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 06:34 PM   #1
MadBoozer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Honey instead of sugar?

Hi!
I saw this thread : http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=51887 and I'm very interested in making some honey beer. But I use Cooper's malt extract, I just wonder about how much honey I should put in my 5 gallon batch. Do you think I should read the nutrition facts of the honey and just add the amount of honey I need to bring the amount of sugar to 1kg? Would it work?
Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

I'd look through some existing recipes and try one that looks good. After you have experience making beer with honey, you can modify the amount to taste.

~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-14-2008, 06:56 PM   #3
Kayos
disclaimers are sissy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

2 pounds in the primary just after initial fermentation is subsiding is my 2 cents. That way you can adjust from there next time. I have had beer with 3 pounds and it was VERY high ABV. I like the slight flavor contribution from adding after the inital explosive fermentation subsides, too.
One more thought....steep some brumalt in their if you like the honey flavor. If it were me...it would be a wheat beer and add some honey. but if it must be Coopers....here is my idea

5 lbs. coopers extract
1 oz hallertau
WLP300
2 pounds honey after initial ferm.

That is it....

Primary #2: ESB
Big Blind: Pucker Bitter
Small Blind:
Tasty Remembrances: White 'N Nerdy, Dynamite Red (Hop bursted), APA, The Bonaduce (irish Red), runners stout, ridgeback brown,

from my big ass computer sitting on my floor

Old 02-15-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
tagz
Recipes 

Liked 92 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I'm going to jump on here - My dad started up a honey bee hobby this year and just finished extracting his first harvest. He now has 90 pounds of delicious clover honey!!! I'm sure we'll give mead a go at some point, but what are some of the best beer recipes for honey?

I figure I'll try to use some in a wheat. Do you think I could use the 3068 hefe yeast I just washed or should I go for a less fruity wheat so I don't bury the floral notes of the honey?

Also, I'm dying to try out a belgian yeast. Could I substitute honey for the candi sugar in a tripel? Does it ferment out in a similar manner?

Thoughts?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
bikegeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagz
Also, I'm dying to try out a belgian yeast. Could I substitute honey for the candi sugar in a tripel? Does it ferment out in a similar manner?

Thoughts?
Beersmith lists honey at 1.035 and sugar at 1.046 per pound, per gallon. I was going to use 1.5 lbs of light raw cane sugar in my last tripel, but went with 1 lb of the sugar and 0.5 lb of orange-blossom honey. I got 82% attenuation out of the WLP530 yeast that I used (OG 1.089, FG 1.015). It probably would have gone a little dryer with just sugar, but I am very happy with the taste and don't plan to chage my recipe for future batches. Also, the higher carbonation of tripels helps with perceived dryness.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:52 PM   #6
Richo
Recipes 

I made a Honey Pale Ale a few months ago and it came out great. I used 3 pounds of honey, but next time I would probably use 2 to 2.5 pounds. It was a tic sweet for my tatse.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
cclloyd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I make a Honey Blonde Ale that is quite tasty - but be aware that adding honey will not impart much of a honey flavor. At least that has been my experience. I add 2 lbs of honey for the last 15 minutes of the boil. I use it because it ferments out very clean and doesn't lend much color to the beer. I've been told that to get a honey flavor you should use a honey malt.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #8
Ooompa Loompa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclloyd
I make a Honey Blonde Ale that is quite tasty - but be aware that adding honey will not impart much of a honey flavor. At least that has been my experience. I add 2 lbs of honey for the last 15 minutes of the boil. I use it because it ferments out very clean and doesn't lend much color to the beer. I've been told that to get a honey flavor you should use a honey malt.
Agreed. I made a honey cherry wheat a while back using 3.3 lbs wheat LME, 3 lbs honey, some steeping grains (don't have the recipe in front of me but I think it was around 8 0z cyrstal 10L and 4 oz honey malt), then added 2 lbs of cherries after initial fermentation died down. It was a very dissapointing brew. Because the honey was so fermentable it finished extremely driy, when I wanted it on the sweet side.

I recently made a sweet cream ale and used 8 oz of honey malt, and it turned out beautifully, with a nice honey note to it.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
MadBoozer
Recipes 

Thank you for your answers! So, if I understand well, I should put 2 pounds of honey about 3 or 4 days after pitching the yeast. Should I stir it all? Will the stir affect the batch? Thank you again.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
bgrand281
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how would using the homey as priming sugar work? how would it change flavor at that point?

Quick Reply