The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Honey - add in boil or at flame out?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
ManTail
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Honey - add in boil or at flame out?

Hi folks! I know, I know, I know - this question has probably been answered elsewhere, but I'm looking for YOUR opinion. I'm brewing my honey hef from extract for the first time this Friday night. I've scaled the recipe down quite a bit as this will be my first from-scratch recipe. Here it is (followed by a question I'm really hoping you all can help me with):

HONEY HEFEY
3 lbs. wheat dme
6 oz. honey malt (steeped)
1.5 oz. saaz hops (1 oz. for 60, .5 with 5 minutes left)
Safale US-05 (going for neutral ferment so as not to mess with the honey flavor I'm looking for)
2 lbs. honey

Here's my question - what the hell do I do with the 2 lbs. of honey? I've thought about using 1 lb. for the full boil (knowing that I'll lose any and all flavor/aroma from the pound, but will add to the SG I really need), then the other pound at flame out (letting it rest for 10 mins at flame out with hopes I'll pick up the additional flavor/aroma, along with adding to the OG). I'm looking for a nice honey flavor on the nose and palate. Do you think my plan will suffice?

Any help, as always, is greatly appreciated. Thanks folks!

Brandon

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 07:53 PM   #2
JohnK93
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been planning a batch of honey kolsch and have been searching the threads on this too. I'm thinking of using 1lb honey (along with some pilsen DME, the rest to be added as a late addition) at 60 minutes and priming with honey after fermentation is complete. I've been told that you'll get more of the honey flavor if you prime with it than you will from the wort.

On the other hand, some people have suggested NOT priming with honey as they have had unpredictable results...bottle bombs. Right now, though, I'm planning on using 1 lb honey in the wort at 60min (or maybe as a late addition) and about 8 tablespoons (133g sugar) for priming my 5 gallon batch.

I've also settled on using orange blossom honey...seems to be the recommended honey. Although many have used other types of honey with success, there are some that I've read impart bad flavors (barnyard). Let me know how you make out.

-John

Old 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #3
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

I would not add honey to a boil. I would add all of it after flameout and probably even after it cooled down to about 160F or so. Boiling will push out all of the character of the honey, so that you are basically down to table sugar. Probably why you hear people get more from priming with honey is because it is not boiled.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #4
EyePeeA
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

The method that I've heard of which makes the most sense is to pitch the honey in the primary when primary fermentation is dying down, but not completely halted. That way you will be adding the honey to alcohol, instead of wort. This environment is more sanitary. The yeast will also be active enough to recognize the sugars and eat them up without completely blowing off the aroma via highly active C02, or giving you a sweet mess by adding too much in the secondary off of the yeast cake. It's also fine to prime with. Northern brewer has a priming calculator that shows you how much honey you need to use. I would probably rely on both of these methods for a beer with 10%+ honey in it.

Old 04-10-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 236 Times on 181 Posts
Likes Given: 446

honey in beer I add in the boil, real late 5min or so.
mead I don't heat at all.

Old 04-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #6
crash568
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just bottled a honey green tea ipa and used a lb of clover honey at FO also used it to prime ill be cracking the first bottle Saturday and will post my results

Old 04-10-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
Effingbeer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash568
I just bottled a honey green tea ipa and used a lb of clover honey at FO also used it to prime ill be cracking the first bottle Saturday and will post my results
Nice. That's going for it homebrew style. What hops?

Old 04-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
crash568
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Bitter Columbus
Flavor warrior and centennial
Aroma centennial
Dry hop sorachi ace whole leaf

Old 04-11-2013, 01:03 AM   #9
ManTail
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

What a great help - thanks to everyone who has responded. One other question - and this could be a dumb one (I'm still learning) - will the gravity be effected depending on when I add the honey?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
BostonianBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

What's the recipe on that honey green tea ipa . Any suggestions on making that from extract , how did you introduce the tea and amounts ?

Quick Reply