Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Holiday Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2009, 12:32 AM   #1
KeeferMan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Holiday Ale

Kind of a newb here (brewed two successful extract + steeping grains recipes so far).

A little late to the game perhaps but I was hoping to throw together a simple ale for Thanksgiving. Looking for something with a subtle spice flavor and not too elaborate to make. After doing some research on the boards I have come across this spice combination a few times (originally submitted by "the Pol"):

2 tsp cinnamon
1 bsp allspice
1 tsp ginger

Does this sound like it will achieve what I am looking for?

Now second my question is for the ale itself. My favorite style is a semi-hoppy amber ale, but I was thinking maybe a scottish style brown ale or American brown might be nice with the spices. Or do you think an amber would be recommended and perhaps just tone down the hops a bit (I have a great recipe based on Ballast Point Calico Amber I could use as a base).

Going to need to carb it in the bottle so in that case should I just aim for a faster to brew style, if there is a difference?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #2
KingBrianI
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you have a base recipe with good malt presence you like, go for it! Just eliminate any and all late hops (<30 min additions), and reduce bitterness to somewhere around 20-25 IBU for normal size beers (OG <1.060). The hops and bitterness both will clash and cover the spices. The most important part, I feel, is to have a good malt base. Your spice amounts look pretty good, and should lend a pretty strong spice flavor and aroma. You might consider adding a little fresh grated nutmeg, I find it really adds that "holiday" feel. And I'm a fan of a little bit of cloves, though I know there are lots of people who can't stand them.

I'm too lazy and have too many beers going to keep updating this!

Old 10-10-2009, 01:28 AM   #3
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3025 Times on 1908 Posts
Likes Given: 2564

Keefe, you are on the right track! Add some body with Carapils and get some toastiness in there with some victory or other biscuit malt and you are golden. You wll love it. Go brew now!

Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
Sum1Stu
Recipes 

Sounds like something I should be doing !!

I currently have wheat malt and pale malt. Also some spare cascade hops, anyone have a recipe suggestion to me ?

I also have some mollasses, honey, and a few 100 grams of hopped malt extract in my fridge.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:14 AM   #5
suhornet84
Recipes 

2 tsp might be a bit much. Just finished a holiday spiced ale tonight and added 1.3tsp cinnamon, 1tsp allspice and a pinch of ginger and it was pretty spicy. Not sure how it will taste once it has spent time in primary and secondary...

Quick Reply