Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hmm... Did i mess up or will it be delicious?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
citingzero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts

Default Hmm... Did i mess up or will it be delicious?

I've got a Scottish Light Ale (from midwest) fermenting right now. It's been going for about 2 weeks, so last night I decided it was about time to add the oak chips. I boiled some water, tossed in the oak chips.... glanced at my spice cabinet and dumped some cinnamon in the boiling water with the oak chips. I'm not sure cinnamon really works with the style (especially since Christmas is gone). It was just an impulse thing. I didn't measure it, but I didnt put a ton in (didnt want it to be too strong). So I'm just looking for your predictions... great or gross?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
two_hearted
Hold on to your butts
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 154 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by citingzero View Post
I've got a Scottish Light Ale (from midwest) fermenting right now. It's been going for about 2 weeks, so last night I decided it was about time to add the oak chips. I boiled some water, tossed in the oak chips.... glanced at my spice cabinet and dumped some cinnamon in the boiling water with the oak chips. I'm not sure cinnamon really works with the style (especially since Christmas is gone). It was just an impulse thing. I didn't measure it, but I didnt put a ton in (didnt want it to be too strong). So I'm just looking for your predictions... great or gross?
How much cinnamon are we talking about here? I typically add cinnamon sticks as apposed to ground. I'm not sure I would have thrown it in the beer, but go ahead and taste it out of your fermenter and see what you think. Spices and oak tend to fade with time, so you might be able to wait it out.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
citingzero
Recipes 

Maybe a tablespoon? I'm thinking that since I put it in boiling water with the chips and drained the chips before adding to the fermenter, the only cinnamon that actually made it in was whatever was stuck to the oak. I'm not really worried about. I was just thinking to myself and wanted to see what others thought.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #4
dstranger99
Recipes 

Liked 103 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 21

If it's a 5 gallon batch, and you added 1 Tablespoon, effects will be minimal or none.

Primary: Caribou Slobber

Kegged: Stout

Bottled: Cent Blonde, Jakes Brown, Stout

I love Yooper........

Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
citingzero
Recipes 

Kinda what I was thinking. However, I know cinnamon can sometimes be over powering. I use a tiny bit in chili and you def know its there

Quick Reply