Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hitachino Nest White Yeast?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
khbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hitachino Nest White Yeast?

Was wondering if anyone knew if the yeast in the bottle of the Hitachino Nest White was the fermentation yeast or just for bottling? Trying to create a clone and thought I might want to harvest the yeast if it is in fact the right one.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2008, 08:46 PM   #2
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I searched google and couldn't find much information for you. I'd never heard of this beer until today. I'm actually suprised to see such a wide variety from a Japanese brewery. Without any other information I'd recommend a standard witbier yeast in it's place.

The Kiuchi Brewery does have an English language site, and perhaps you could contact them for assistance.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 08-10-2008, 11:04 PM   #3
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

WOW....I'm so glad you asked this question, even though I don't have an answer...but now I want to try some of those ales...

Thanks!

So what's you clone recipe for the white?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
khbrew
Recipes 

Well have not tried this yet, but this is where I'm heading. Since I'm an extract brewer I know that the color is not going to be right, but I think this is a good start. Any pointers are very welcome.

6.25 lbs of Wheat LE
.5 lbs of Candi Sugar, clear

.75 lbs Pale Malt (2 row)
.5 lbs Car-Pils
.06 lbs Belgian Aromatic

.75 oz Pearle (7.2%) 60 min
.5 oz Styrian Goldings (5.4%) 5 min

.05 oz Nutmeg 5 min
.5 oz Bitter Orange
.75 Coriander Seed

Think of using either harvest from bottle or White Labs Belgian Wit II

Old 07-28-2009, 01:26 AM   #5
homebrewjapan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Hitachino make two white beers - their White Ale and Weizen. They use different yeast. As far as I know, the White Ale uses their standard ale yeast - the flavours come from the spices used rather than the yeast.

I have a clone of the White Ale on my website - I made it at Kiuchi (Hitachino) brewery:
Making beer at the Kiuchi Brewery » Homebrew Japan

Kiuchi-san is a nice guy - send him and email and I'm sure he'll be happy to send you info about the yeast.

Recommended Japan resources:
Homebrewing in Japan
Craft beer in Japan

goodsuds Likes This 
Old 07-30-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Most of the time that breweries bottle condition ales, they filter out the ale yeast and add highly flocculent and fresh lager yeast to the bottle for conditioning. That's why the yeast is usually clumped together on the bottom of the bottle. Even German Hefeweizen is bottled in this fashion.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #7
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
For a fee they will design a beer with you, guide you through the beer making process, then when the beer is bucketed and ready for yeast pitching, they’ll pitch the yeast, watch fermentation, bottle it, and deliver it to you.
This is cool, kinda like a brew on premises place, but differenter. I should offer this to my friends for a fee.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 09-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #8
DRoyLenz
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewjapan View Post
Hitachino make two white beers - their White Ale and Weizen. They use different yeast. As far as I know, the White Ale uses their standard ale yeast - the flavours come from the spices used rather than the yeast.

I have a clone of the White Ale on my website - I made it at Kiuchi (Hitachino) brewery:
Making beer at the Kiuchi Brewery » Homebrew Japan

Kiuchi-san is a nice guy - send him and email and I'm sure he'll be happy to send you info about the yeast.
HBJ, I'm having a tough time finding your post regarding your experience at Kiuchi, and I'm very interested in checking out the clone recipe you used for their white ale. Would you mind posting the recipe here, or even an updated link to the blog entry?

Thanks!

All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment

Old 10-15-2009, 05:52 AM   #9
opteek
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I too am interested in brewing this beer. The original page seems to be gone but I found a copy in googles cache. Here is the recipe:

This was to be as close to Hitachino Nest White Ale as possible. While we were told this was the same recipe, when visiting the new brewery I saw one of these being made. Our recipe had the orange peel ground with the coriander but in the whirlpool tank in the factory, orange peel was in a bag in the tank – so our recipe can’t be exactly the same.

2 Row: 4700g
Wheat: 2200g

1st hops: 20g, Perle pellets
2nd: none
3rd: 30g, Styrian Goldings pellets
4th: none
End: 50g coriander, 30g dried orange peel, 8g nutmeg – all ground

For mashing the wheat beer, there was 10m at 40 degrees, recirculate 5 x 2L (out through the tap at the bottom, pour back onto the grain), then 10m at 50 degrees, recirculate 5 x 2L, bring temp to 65 degrees, recirculate 2 x 2L, then 40m at 65 degrees, recirculate 5 x 2L, iodine test, then temperature was brought up to 76 degrees for 10 minutes filtering (take out wort slowly from the tap and pour back in slowly) and then lautering (sprinkling on 76 degrees water while taking out wort and pouring into another tank for boiling).

Boil volume was 30L. The aim was to bottle 15L, but I’m guessing there was about 20L (maybe more) after boiling – some was wasted in the cooling pipes.

Some important notes about the White Ale:

1. Use a grinder to grind the coriander and orange peel. I tried making the white ale at home by just crushing the coriander with a rolling pin – it doesn’t give the same result.

2. The version above came out a little more spicy than the real white ale – a little bit more nutmeg and coriander taste – but I wouldn’t play about with the ratios too much. Again, when I made this at home again, I added extra orange peel and the orange taste just ended up overpowering.

3. Frequently taste. When you are using these spices, an extra day in the primary can make the difference between a nice beer and one which has too strong a flavour.

Last edited by opteek; 10-15-2009 at 05:56 AM.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 AM   #10
homebrewjapan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Link update

The page has moved to here:

http://beerinjapan.com/bij/780/kiuchi-brewery-ibaraki/

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Recommended Japan resources:
Homebrewing in Japan