The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > High FG on my extract stout?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 03:46 PM   #1
thesink
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default High FG on my extract stout?

I brewed a stout on Friday, August 6th. The recipe was:

Steeping grains:
1 lb Crystal 60L
8 oz Chocolate Malt (UK)
8 oz Roasted Barley - 550L

Fermentables:
6 lb Dark Malt Extract Syrup
8 oz turbinado sugar

1 oz Nugget hops
1 oz Fuggles hops
Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale yeast

I steeped the crystal, choco malt and barley for 30 minutes at 155-160 degrees. I boiled 3 lbs of the extract syrup for 30 minutes w/ the nugget hops before adding the final 3 lbs of the extract, boiled another 30 minutes. I added the turbinado sugar with 10 mintues left (I wanted to up the alcohol content a bit) along with the fuggles. OG ended up a little light than what Hopville was calculating: 1.052.

I didn't make a starter, but did smack the yeast package the night before. Pitched at just under 71 degrees. Moved the carboy into a cooler filled with 66 degree water and left in the cooler for 2 weeks. Moved out of the cooler onto the concrete floor in my basement for another 10 days.

My mistake was not taking a gravity reading before I transferred it to my bottling bucket. When I went to bottle it last night, the reading was at 1.028! I'm just stunned because it really should be around 1.015 or lower. Outside of not making a starter, what could I have possibly done wrong? I've had a couple of extract beers do this now, but this is the most eggregious example of missed FG I've seen yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #2
Nateo
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Did you aerate the wort before pitching the yeast?
I'll pour the chilled wort back and forth from the bucket to the kettle about 8-10 times before I pitch.

To paraphrase Dr. England - "Off-flavors smooth with time. So do mountains. Brew it right from the start!"

My blogsite: http://nateobrew.blogspot.com/

Old 09-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #3
thesink
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nateo View Post
Did you aerate the wort before pitching the yeast?
I'll pour the chilled wort back and forth from the bucket to the kettle about 8-10 times before I pitch.
Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Yep, I did aerate the wort. I do partial boils, so I boiled 3 gallons of bottled water. Then after I cooled the wort down, I mixed it with 2 gallons of clean water and then aerated it for about 5 minutes.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
Burgs
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Did you go ahead and proceed with bottling?

If not, and you have the carboys free, you could brew a quick British mild or bitter, something with a fast turnaround and rack it - then pitch this stout on the yeast cake... I bet it would take it the rest of the way down to where you want the FG to be.

*edit* I guess I can assume you bottled it since you said you had it in the bucket. Did you taste it? It's gotta be pretty sweet... :/

I guess what I'm suggesting is that if you find yourself in this situation again, might want to try pitching it all onto a nice cake o yeast.

Last edited by Burgs; 09-01-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Quick Reply