The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Hickory Smoked Honey Wheat

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
MisterDrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hickory Smoked Honey Wheat

I was reading a back issue of Zymurgy recently and they had an article about a brewing club having a contest of sorts using smoked grain. This got my brain churnin' about doing a honey wheat extract with a home smoked specialty grain. I thought I would bring the topic here and see if anyone had tried something similar and how it turned out along with getting some input on recipe ideas.

Mister Drew-
My Brewing History

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Blackgaurd_Brewing
Recipes 

if you can wait a few weeks ill let you know. I just did a smoked american brown ale with 1 lb honey at high krausen.

Old 06-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #3
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I recently did a pecan smoked wheat lager, wasn't bad but wasn't great. Just finished off a pecan smoked Bavarian Dunkelweizen. Between the yeast and the caramel malt it was hard to pick up the smoked malt. Have a few more pounds left of the home smoked Munich malt I need to use. I may be done smoking my own malt after that as it didn't seem as elegant as Rauch malt.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
MisterDrew
Recipes 

Interesting to hear. If smoking my own doesn't make a huge difference flavor wise it doesn't make sense to do so. Thanks for the info!

Mister Drew-
My Brewing History

Old 06-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
PT Ray
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

If you like smoked beer you have to try smoking your own malt at least once. I used hickory years ago to smoke some 2-row and thought I remembered it turning out pretty good.

Don't let my experience stop you. I made a traditional rauch with my home smoked Munich malt. Again, I didn't think it was great but I gave some to a co-worker for kicks thinking he wasn't going to like it. He came back wanting to know if I had any more left.

Quick Reply