A helpful little file for basic extract brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erockomania

Reaction score
Hey guys... this is what I use to do all my extract/specialty grain brewing. I made this basic brew calculator simply because I like to do random small batches for experimentation and if I find a recipe I like and want to do a larger batch, this will calculate everything for me. It also has a brewing log and a nice ABV calc with temp calibration. I hope you can use it as I find it very helpful for getting rough projections for ABV and such. All the yellow fields are where you input the data... the other fields are all set with formulas. I THINK it looks self explanatory but if you have questions on how it works please ask me.

New Excel
http://www.sendspace.com/file/2q7n6d

for Excel '97
http://www.sendspace.com/file/3i3ebv

*also, I added an "Original Batch Size" option to make things easier :)

If you can think of anything that might be helpful or looks wrong, please bring it to my attention. *Projected ABV% is based batch size and an 80% efficiency of LME. It tends to work out just about right every time if I use that %, so I worked it into the formula*

It should look exactly like this (for some reason some decimal points where in the wrong places on a system at work... file conversion issue, I guess)
t9z97s.jpg

Very nicely done I calculated 20 carbs and 218 calories per 12 oz serving for your example above with an 80% actual attenuation. I would prefer a way to enter the FG temperature separately as the pitching temperatures are usually higher than the post fermentation temperatures.

Screwy Brewer

Can you save the file as the previous version of excel as my work computer does not have the newest office. Thanks and this looks pretty sweet.

I've been meaning to do something like this for a while now. I just haven't had the time to gather all of the formulas together for the calculations. Looks pretty cool.

Thanks guys... I hope you can get some use out of it!

I added an Original Batch Size option now as well... makes it even easier to down or upsize batches.

Simply start with your original batch size, add the ingredient amounts and you are good to go.

Not sure how to add in a final gravity temperature into the calc. If someone knows a formula, send 'er over!

I also added an Excel '97 file for you, modobrew.

So when you go to the link above (in the first post) do you see the "Download Link: Brew Calc 2.xlsx" at the bottom?

All I see is a website trying to sell me some kind of "upload/download" tool ???

That's just a free file storage site with a confusing interface. Choose regular download and there shouldn't be a tool just a free download on the next page at the bottom. Click on the file name. If that doesn't work for you just PM me your email and I'll send it over.

I see, I was clicking the other option. Thanks for the tool. It should be very useful. :)

Latest posts

Back