Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help! Too bitter!!!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
cheeseburger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Help! Too bitter!!!!!!

Hi,

I bottled my 2nd batch last week, I know it's not ready yet and really needs a few more weeks but I tasted a bottle last night and its much too bitter to drink.

I used 2 x 1.5kg of coopers Light LME and steeped 300g of crystal malt for 30 mins at 65 degree's.

My Boil size was about 15 litres and i topped up the wort to 23 litres.

I used lots of hops! 100g of Columbus and 100g of Cascade.
30g Columbus 60 mins
30g Columbus 15 mins
35g Cascade 15 mins
15g Columbus 5 mins
40g Cascade 5 mins
Dry hopped for 10 days with 25g Columbus and 25g Cascade.

I added 400g of Honey at high krausen and left in primary fermenter for 18 days then bottled. (no secondary)

I don't have a Hydrometer so I don't know what the gravity was.
I squeezed the hops both from boil and dry hop back into the wort. I did not squeeze any of the Crystal malt.

Will my beer be too bitter to drink or will it mellow out??

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
brewsnthelou
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Holy Hops Batman! I would think a little extra time in the bottle conditioning will do it good and yes it will mellow some

"BEER...the other white meat"

Old 01-27-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
discooby
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

It’s too bitter? With those hop configs I wonder why?! Actually, I don’t know grams and am too lazy to convert; for all I know that equals 2oz. I know 2kg is like 1 u.s. lb??? Ok, maybe I don’t know. Anyway, you might need to let it age for several months for that to mellow… but then I don’t bottle, I keg. Let’s put it this way, I’m no help!

I did, however, over do the hops on my last choc stout and it was too bitter. Two months has mellowed it a bit but two more months should be just right. Just my 2 useless cents.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
Stand
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Aging is really your only option at this point.

What's was your SG/FG?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #5
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 531 Times on 469 Posts
Likes Given: 162

You'll have to let it sit for a few more months and the hops will eventually start to fade. Sample one every month or so and you'll start to notice it mellowing out.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #6
Demus
Recipes 

Liked 155 Times on 127 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Aging will definitely mellow the bitterness. Whether it will still be "too" bitter is entirely up to your taste buds. Welcome to brewing! For future brews, try some simpler recipes/hop schedules. They still taste great and it's easier to learn about the ingredients and their effects on taste when there's less of them. Do a search for a great article, "brewing on the ones", by Drew Beechum. Great info...

Old 01-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I think that's 7 ounces of hops for a 6 gallon batch. It will mellow over time, or the other suggestion I got when I did the same thing, overboard with the hops and too bitter, was to make another batch minus all the hops and mix them. Though actually, the more I keep tasting it, the better it's becoming. I don't think I've given it enough time to mellow, so thinking it's an acquired taste. Savor the bitterness! Just pretend your camping, don't have any cream or sugar and someone made the coffee way too strong.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #8
cheeseburger
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Thanks for all the help guys, for my next brew I have 100g of Amarillo hops, I intend to brew 23 litres, any recommendations on hop schedule, I also have 500g of Crystal malt. How much extract should I use for it to be about 5/6% abv & whats the best ways to use the Crystal (some recipes advise to steep in cold water and bring up to temp then remove and others say to steep for 30 mins at 150/165????????

Old 01-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Johnnyhitch1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 31 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 3367

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseburger View Post
Thanks for all the help guys, for my next brew I have 100g of Amarillo hops, I intend to brew 23 litres, any recommendations on hop schedule, I also have 500g of Crystal malt. How much extract should I use for it to be about 5/6% abv & whats the best ways to use the Crystal (some recipes advise to steep in cold water and bring up to temp then remove and others say to steep for 30 mins at 150/165????????
I think you need to understand the brewing process before you move on to your next recipe.
I would advise getting a program like beersmith if you want to start formulating your own recipes, or you can head over to the recipe section and find one thats proven to be good.

100 grams of amarillo is around 3.2 ounces i think?
I would add
30gm at 60
15gm at 15
25gm at 5
30gm dry hop for 5-7 days.

This will give u a nice light IPA when steeping that crystal ( i usually heat to 165 and use a hopbag to submerge for 30min. Bring it back up to boil and add your first hop addition. 8pds of LME would get you to around 5.6-5.8%

Primary: Kicking Cans DIPA, ECY20 Golden sour.
Kegged: Conan the Brown, OBS (Oatmeal brett stout)
Aging: Flanders Red w/ ECY02, All out Brett.
BOTTLES:

Cider: Grapfelwine, Apfelwine, Cranfelwine, Applejack
Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
Cellar: Maple Whiskey Barrel Stout, ST Pumking Clone

Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Caveman3141
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Hmm...maybe you're just sensitive to bitter flavors? You basically only used 30g of Columbus (a little over 1oz) to provide bittering for 6 gallons.

As to your question though, I think it's the case that both the bittering and aromatic compounds of hops decay fairly rapidly.

Quick Reply