Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help on single hop imperial ipa

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2013, 12:52 AM   #11
jphart03
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I don't live too far from my homebrew store so I can always go pick up a few extra ounces of hops for brewing. Would something like a few pounds of 2 row in a partial mash be the right direction to go in? If so how much would I need?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #12
B33F
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherma View Post

Well, Dogfish Head does some strange things.

I believe that they are trying to extract every nuance possible out of hops, which is why they are doing basically non-stop additions on their xx-minute IPAs.

Early and late hop additions do different things. Early additions impart the bitterness or astringency you can feel on your tongue. Later additions let those aromas that you smell when you rub the hops in your hands stay in the beer. Those aromas are driven off when you boil the hops longer than about 20 minutes.

All that being said, most homebrewers would be reluctant to use the amount of hops it would take to do a continuous addition like DFH does in those IPAs.
I'm just wondering as I've made some continuous hopped brews as of late (still fermenting) to try out the style. They smell amazing but I did add nearly a third of my total hops to steep while cooling. The other third will be dry hopped. Like I said, I'm new to the craft so I've been experimenting a bit.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #13
sherma
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphart03 View Post
I don't live too far from my homebrew store so I can always go pick up a few extra ounces of hops for brewing. Would something like a few pounds of 2 row in a partial mash be the right direction to go in? If so how much would I need?
Well, if you are going to use Munich and Wheat malt, as shown in your original post, you are going to have to do a partial mash, as those grains must be mashed. You don't really need 2 row, as the light DME would serve as the base.

I suggest picking up some software. BeerSmith is very good and a good number of the people on here, myself included, use it. Costs about $25 on the BeerSmith site. That will allow you to put in different grains and extracts and you can build your recipe that way, rather than just guessing.
primary: CDA #2
primary: Evil Twin Red
primary: Mosaic Single Hop Pale
Bottled: Oddsides Citra Pale clone, India Cream Ale, CDA #1, Cascadian Dubbel
On deck: Surly Abrasive clone, Yooper's Pale Ale

Quick Reply