Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > help with recipe ideas with limited hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
thoughtsonhops
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default help with recipe ideas with limited hops

So I want to brew a beer with only the hops I grew myself. There are a couple problems. First, for whatever reason, I only got ~1oz Chinook and ~0.8oz Centennial. Second, I would like the beer to be something autumn-like.

I was thinking an Oatmeal Pale Ale, 'cause I had Fort George's Sunrise OPA. And I really liked it. Also I was playing with the idea of a Rye Pale Ale, I've never had a Rye beer, but I'd imagine it to be kinda piney, although I've heard they're great summer beers. I was also thinking of a red/amber just cause I have limited hops.

I kinda want to stay away from pumpkin type beers, I like them, but not five gallons worth.

So any suggestions for something I haven't thought of or on what I have thought of? (and as the sub-form suggests, extract)

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2011, 05:10 PM   #2
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 3

are those hop weights wet or dry? you'll need about 5 times as much wet vs dry. in any case, I wouldn't waste your fresh hops bittering with them if thats all you have.

how about a marzen with the fresh hops thrown in at flameout? its not exactly to style, but its autumny and a good use of the hops

Old 09-29-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2024 Times on 1773 Posts
Likes Given: 1503

An amber ale would work with that amount of hops. Or an APA,given the types of hops.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Cromwell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 132

Scottish Ales don't use much hops, because Scots can't grow hops. The only problem is you'd have to let it condition for a while, and if you wanted to taste your hops (to see if they're good) you won't taste them much.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:18 AM   #5
thoughtsonhops
Recipes 

These are dried hops. Thanks for the suggestion for the marzen. I'll look into it. Still I'm leaning towards something with only homegrown hops. It should be about a $20 batch if beer, so no huge loss.

Since I'm not positive about the AA% any chance I would have a too sweet or too bitter beer? The hops smelt good, and the Lupulin looked about right.

Quick Reply