Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Help with this Octoberfest/Marzen....for March then lager

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #11
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default I made this on Sunday 2-28

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoocurt View Post
Hey guys,

I have this recipe I cobbled together from various sources and now can't seem to find the original. I need some help, I'd like to brew in March and lager through the summer (in fridge) then have it ready for the start of football season and Octoberfest. I'll be getting the ingredients soon and just want to be prepared..... Here is the recipe.

OCTOBERFEST/MARZEN
6# Munich LME
1# Pilsner malt
.5# Vienna malt
.5# Biscuit malt
.5# Crystal 120L
.5# German Dark Munich malt

1oz Tettnang @ 60 min
1.25oz Hallertauer @ 60 min

Wyeast 2633 Octoberfest

This is my first lager so I guess I'm asking about potential surpises.....

My questions are:

1. How long should I steep? Temp and water amount? I usually do 155* and 30 min with 2 gallons with my ales....is this o.k. with a lager?
2. My hops IBU's....I put it through Hopville, and it says 25.5IBU for a 3gal 60 min boil....does this sound right?
3. Anything else I should be concentrating on for my first lager?.... the only thing I'm sure of is that I'm not sure of anything but trying to RDWHAHB

Thanks in advance for all the help, it's great to be a part of this forum...

V
Hey man, I had wanted to make one of these recipes and settled on yours. I made mine with your "revision" and hit this:
6.6# Munich LME (the sizes of briess are 3.3# per can)
.5# biscuit malt
.5# crystal 80
.5# German Dark Munich
1# Caramunich because that's what my LHBS had
and I know people have lots to say on this but....1# Carapils (I've been using it alot lately).
- All grains steeped for 45 mins at 160 deg
1 oz Tettnanger for 60 mins
1 oz Hallertauer 30 mins
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins (pretty standard for me now)
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (was using old yeast and a starter - wanted it to work)

So, I had 2 questions:
1) What is Munich 7 I honestly had no idea and apparently removed that part when copying the recipe for my ingredient list
2) What was/is your OG and FG expected? My OG at 82 deg was 1.060 I think because of the additional .6# of the LME. This is my second lager and my first, I did not do a gravity reading before just taking it out and doing a diacetyl rest. I'd like to take a reading this time and attempt to get it right!

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwortiz View Post
Hey man, I had wanted to make one of these recipes and settled on yours. I made mine with your "revision" and hit this:
6.6# Munich LME (the sizes of briess are 3.3# per can)
.5# biscuit malt
.5# crystal 80
.5# German Dark Munich
1# Caramunich because that's what my LHBS had
and I know people have lots to say on this but....1# Carapils (I've been using it alot lately).
- All grains steeped for 45 mins at 160 deg
1 oz Tettnanger for 60 mins
1 oz Hallertauer 30 mins
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 mins (pretty standard for me now)
2 tsp Yeast Nutrient (was using old yeast and a starter - wanted it to work)

So, I had 2 questions:
1) What is Munich 7 I honestly had no idea and apparently removed that part when copying the recipe for my ingredient list
2) What was/is your OG and FG expected? My OG at 82 deg was 1.060 I think because of the additional .6# of the LME. This is my second lager and my first, I did not do a gravity reading before just taking it out and doing a diacetyl rest. I'd like to take a reading this time and attempt to get it right!

Thanks!
Hi,
1)Munich 7 is this....I assume it's the Lovibond or color....
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/produc...products_id=87
2)I am brewing this up this week and I'll post all my findings here....I actually have changed it to this...updated....
.....Also some of your OG numbers could have been due to the 82* temp....

OLD SOUTH OCTOBERFEST/MARZEN
6# Munich LME
.5 German Dark Munich Malt
.5# Crystal 60L
.5# Biscuit malt
.5 Vienna.....keeping it because of this article....
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2009/1...-beer-recipes/

1oz Tettnang @ 30 min
1.oz Hallertauer @ 60 min

Wyeast 2633 Octoberfest

This is what Hopville Estimated...I'll post my findings when I brew....
OG=1.055
FG=1.014
11 SRM
22 IBU
5.5 ABV

Hope yours turned out great....I am actually making room today in my garage fridge to accomodate the carboy....

V

Old 03-26-2012, 03:08 AM   #13
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Hi V,
I'll actually be bottling mine on Easter weekend so I'm not sure if it turned out well or not the brief sample I took when racking to the secondary for lagering SEEMED to be pretty good. Hope that lasts

What made you change the timing on your selected hops?

Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #14
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

pwortiz,
I just thought the IBU's were a little high from listening to ealier posts and simply backed off the time.
BTW did you do a starter? If so, how? I ONLY have LME and would like to do a starter but can't seem to find the right ratio of LME to water. Also, did you just pitch at ale temp and lower it to lager temp or how are you lagering?

V

Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

Hi V,
Guess we'll see how this plays then regarding the bitterness. I do plan to let this thing sit until late September but will test 1x per month or so

As for the process I executed, it went a bit like this:
- 3 days prior to brew day, I did make a starter. The guy at my LHBS just gave me 3 packets of the wyeast because it was 2 weeks past the "best before" date. I put 2 of the packs in because my flask wasn't big enough for all 3. It SEEMED to be OK and that I had some good viable yeast to pitch on brew day. The airlock was bubblin' away so that increased my faith.
- Post boil, bring to 80 degrees and pitch - I think I should have brought to 70 max instead based on what I have read since then. My gravity was 1.060 @82
- I waited to see the fermentation start then the real scientific stuff started happening:
1) I put in my basement shower that is built over a cement floor (and is friggin' cold) overnight ~10 hours or so that brought temp down to ~60 from 75 on the sticker thermometer
2) I moved to a closet in my basement - there's a little 3x3 space in there that houses the utitilities where they enter my house. I left in there for 9 days and the temp reading was about 52 on the sticker
3) I pulled out for diacetyl rest for 2 days. Took a gravity reading before transferring and it was at 1.015
4) Put back in the closet to get to get 52 again and then chucked in my mini-fridge for lagering @ ~35-36 ish. It will be 4 weeks in that fridge on Easter weekend when I will bottle. I'll pull out to get it back to room temp for bottling sometime around April 4th and prime/bottle on the 6th or 7th.

As to your starter question, I have never heard of anyone using LME for the sugars. I keep DME on hand now for starters and because I just don't enjoy/like using LME anymore. That said, what I have heard is that it takes DME requires basically 20% less weight to get the same sugars as LME.

I.E. if the recipe were to call for 10 lbs of LME, you would only need to use 8 lbs of DME for the same sugar content. <- call it hearsay for now. If anyone can contradict that on the forum, please do!

I have also heard that, when doing starters, you don't want to use any other type of DME than Light or Extra Light due to any other flavors you might impart during the process.

Personally, if I had no other choice and had Light LME, I'd do the math (100g of DME to 1000ml water would equal 120g of LME to 1000ml water, right? It's still early for me) and try it. But that's just me. Not sure if others would attempt the same thing.

Sorry for the mass amount of detail - I know you didn't ask for that much. Maybe if you see something there you can provide feedback too

Old 03-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #16
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

P,
Wow, thanks for the info...I'm going to follow your timetable and degrees and see if we can both get a good Octoberfest. I have a garage fridge that I am going to lager in for a few months, but I don't have a temp controller. I'm going to turn my fridge up a little for primary and down for secondary. I have tested it over the past couple of weeks and even though the weather here in Lower Alabama is starting to heat up I can actually get pretty consistent temps.
I just got through with my yeast starter, I pitched @ 80 and had a OG of 1.050. I am not very optimistic that it is going to take off....I "smacked the pack" before I went to work and 8 hours later it still had not expanded. It was past its best date but....well,...we'll see.
I plan on lagering in my fridge until Sept. when I bottle....but I've been reading that some, like you, are doing the looong lager in the bottle. Have you read anything that supports this or is it just a way to sample and see if things are progressing correctly. I may switch to that(your) method. Anyway, great talking with someone that doesn't either make you feel stupid or post the SOS.

V

Old 03-31-2012, 11:18 PM   #17
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

V,
Good for you if you can get your fridge to stay above 48...I couldn't seem to get mine to do that. May be because it's a mini fridge? Best I could do was ~ 40ish on a consistent basis. I'll only ever be able to do lagers in the winter and very early spring months because of that closet ... and I want my mini fridge back for my other brews!

The first lager I did was from AHS (their Vienna) and that's the main reason I'm doing things basically in the same way here with this one; i.e. 7-9 days between 50-55 (dependent upon yeast strain?), pull out for diacetyl rest, toss in fridge for at least 4 week lagering period. I liked that recipe and am still going through it. Seems pretty tasty so it was executed in a manner that allows me to at least enjoy it I am hoping for the same in this case.

I expect to bottle and then "cellar" this one though because I don't have enough fridge space to do additional lagering after the bottling process. I figure it'll stay around 60-65 for most of the summer months. I know it's a ways from now, but I'll be curious to hear your tasting notes in September if you execute your plan of just leaving it in the fridge for that length of time.

Hope that fermentation started out for you - best of luck!

Old 04-01-2012, 01:16 AM   #18
voodoocurt
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

I have dead yeast. I have ordered another pack. I am sad. I will report back when things are going better and back on track.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 PM   #19
pwortiz
Strong Hand Brewing Co.
Recipes 

RIP little yeasties....Good news is you didn't miss your official opportunity time like I would have since you can lager at any time during the year

Old 04-02-2012, 04:24 AM   #20
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 173 Times on 157 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I usually add 3-4oz of Aromatic malt to my maibocks/bocks, it contributes great malt aroma without interfering with flavor.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com

Quick Reply